Men, Muscles and Money, Oh My!

18 Jun

I thought that perhaps the media was exaggerating how beautiful/ridiculous the people are in South Beach, but I was wrong. On my first day there, I went to the beach alone and observed gorgeous, ripped dudes in expensive sunglasses hitting on girls and strutting around talking about sports and how awesome they are at being lawyers. In the past, you would have found me disgusted, bitter and annoyed by this entire show, but I laughed and actually enjoyed it. A couple of them talked to me and I even thought some of them were hot. Yep, I said hot.

How is this possible? Well, I learned that there is a huge difference between this Lauren and past Lauren. Past Lauren was a bitter girl who thought she was ugly and didn’t deserve good things and she didn’t know what she wanted and would have accepted anything, so she attracted all the wrong situations and got confused when guys were total dicks. She felt like a victim of douchebaggery and started hating and judging all guys in general, making relationships with men frustrating for both parties.

Current Lauren loves herself and she loves men, too. I realized while in Florida, that one of the major steps it took to get here is highlighted in this article given to me by my friend’s boyfriend:

Every woman needs a ‘gaggle’ of men

Single ladies, you need to read that article. Married people, what do you think?

I have many men in my life, in many enriching ways, who are all teaching me about myself and my needs and desires and leading me closer to the guy and relationship I want. My “gaggle” has taught me so much about men, too (they aren’t all jerks, and even the tough looking ones may be soft underneath those superman pecs).

I guess the point I am trying to make is that d-bags happen. Once you have confidence and know what you want, it’s easier to gain respect and not feel like a victim. You can even have fun and find out that some of them are admiring you and not raping you with their eyes, just as I discovered while watching and interacting with these fine, peculiar specimens as they strutted around on the beach like macho birds.

About these ads

24 Responses to “Men, Muscles and Money, Oh My!”

1. Shannon June 18, 2012 at 4:07 pm #

Some of the best advice a friend gave me was to become the person I wanted to meet.

• La La June 18, 2012 at 4:11 pm #

Perfect, I love it!

• crubin June 18, 2012 at 4:48 pm #

That is excellent advice for sure. Applies to many different situations, I think.

2. Alex Jones June 18, 2012 at 4:09 pm #

The dudes like that tend to be more in love with their own reflection than other people. Be warned.

• La La June 18, 2012 at 4:13 pm #

Thank you, Alex, I appreciate it. It was all in good fun :-)

3. Madame Weebles June 18, 2012 at 4:10 pm #

Word up, sister. Glad you had a good time!

4. Christopher De Voss June 18, 2012 at 4:21 pm #

I was the fat, hairy, balding one in the speedo raping you with my eyes. Sorry my mustard from my hot dog dropped on your shoe.

• geminiunleashed June 18, 2012 at 4:34 pm #

I read the article sounds good, until you find yourself trying to constantly refill those roles as you watch your men one by one want more an you refuse to give it to them.

• La La June 18, 2012 at 4:54 pm #

I missed you too ;-)

5. Lori DiNardi June 18, 2012 at 5:17 pm #

Sounds like a great time to me. :-) If we’re lookin’, why can’t they? I learned that when I respected myself, I usually got respect in return. Of course, there was always a d-bag that showed up, but I removed myself from them. I’m too old for the ‘gaggle of men’ stuff anymore. But, young and single, I say … gaggle away.

6. Pete Armetta June 18, 2012 at 6:08 pm #

Glad you had fun and glad you’re feeling good enough about yourself to know that there’s a lot more below the surface with people and we can NEVER be presumptious about anyone or anything. Nice piece! hehh

7. CultFit June 18, 2012 at 6:25 pm #

Really great post! Thank you for the interesting link as well :)

• La La June 18, 2012 at 10:01 pm #

Sure! It’s a good read.

8. Frivolous Monsters June 18, 2012 at 6:33 pm #

It was sad to read about “Past Lauren” who was the bitter girl who thought she was ugly and didn’t deserve good things because, from reading your stuff for a while, I believed you were a happy and positive and go-getting gal!

I hope you can gather from people’s comments the truth of how people see you. You surely don’t need me to tell you how funny and pretty you are again… Anyway I’ve already mentioned I’m a fan of the pale-skinned Liv Tyler look in your picture, but after a week in the sun I imagine you’ve burned to a crisp!

I hope life’s back on track now!

FM

• La La June 18, 2012 at 9:59 pm #

Well thank you, you’re sweet. Past Lauren is from maybe a year or so ago, so you’ve known new me for awhile now!

• Frivolous Monsters June 19, 2012 at 2:14 pm #

Good, because people shouldn’t think of themselves like that, even though lots of us do from time to time.

9. The Hook June 18, 2012 at 8:59 pm #

How did you get so smart… and cute?

• La La June 18, 2012 at 9:57 pm #

A well-balanced breakfast :-)

10. Carolina Courtland June 19, 2012 at 12:22 pm #

Wow. Is that a real photo?

11. Elliot June 20, 2012 at 12:51 pm #

I would have said the if you were thinking most men are jerks, then you need some new friends. I suppose I’ve never categorised my friends as having this or that thing, I just get along with them and they have their different personalities and qualities. But I can see where it is coming from.

When I met my wife, I had given up looking for someone per-se, and was seeing where life took me. Then we met, got along well and “without the effort”. It was easy, she is lovely, and life changed from there. So as the recipient of a piece of advice today I say, find the things in life you enjoy, and get on with them, then see where it takes you. It sounds like you are on that path.