Power Ballad Serenade

19 Oct

Last night, as I sat down to relax after my long work day, I was startled by a man right outside my window singing at the top of his lungs, “I wanna know what love is, I want you to shoooow me!”

I hoped and prayed that he was drunk and/or had the wrong house. I peered through the blinds, but it was dark and I couldn’t quite make out his face. He continued singing, “I wanna feel what love is, I know you can shoooow me!!”

I opened the window and shouted down to him, “Do I know you?!”

“Yeah! It’s me!” he yelled back. I squinted, but still couldn’t see him.

Just then, the woman across the street opened her window and screamed, “I’m over here, jackass!”

Giggling, I shut the window and watched him turn and stumble across the street. I went back to relaxing and waited patiently for Christopher to get home from work so I could tell him the story and secretly I hoped we would then have a Foreigner sing-along. We did.

Oh please, don’t look at me like that. Everyone loves a power ballad. Which is your favorite? I wanna know, I wanna know, I wanna knnooooowww…

About these ads

70 Responses to “Power Ballad Serenade”

1. Le Clown October 19, 2012 at 7:49 am #

La La,
    You don’t like the way I sing Foreigner?
    Le Clown

• La La October 19, 2012 at 7:53 am #

Oh I’d love to see that!

• Le Clown October 19, 2012 at 7:55 am #

La La,
        It’s not Foreigner, but here’s how I sing Minnie Riperton.

Le Clown

• Christopher De Voss October 19, 2012 at 7:59 am #

Canada’s version of William Hung?

• Le Clown October 19, 2012 at 8:00 am #

Chris,
            I do like the “hung” part indeed.
            Le Clown

• La La October 19, 2012 at 8:14 am #

I cried laughing at this. Love it.

• becca3416 October 19, 2012 at 9:06 am #

OH. MY. RASPINESS!

• La La October 19, 2012 at 1:06 pm #

I think Becca had a fan girl moment!

• workspousestory October 19, 2012 at 10:16 am #

Wow. Everything about your performance, Le Clown, is magnificent, apart from the fact it’s not a power ballad. Sorry!

:>

LOVE IT!!!

• Love and Lunchmeat October 19, 2012 at 10:54 am #

I don’t know what’s better, drunk dude or this video! If only Le Clown long hair to flip around. That’s the only thing that could have made this video better!

• Sword-chinned bitch October 19, 2012 at 6:34 pm #

Hahaha! I remember this Le Clown — splendid rendition.

• The Bumble Files October 21, 2012 at 2:37 pm #

Le Clown,
          Oh, the heavens have opened! Love it.
          TBF

2. Christopher De Voss October 19, 2012 at 8:31 am #

I’m still singing. I’m about to find me a choir to help out.

• La La October 19, 2012 at 8:34 am #

Oooo that would be fun!

• Christopher De Voss October 19, 2012 at 8:35 am #

You take lead and I’ll play the bass, so I can stare off into space like I am bored and underpaid.

• La La October 19, 2012 at 8:54 am #

Sounds perfect for our hippy tour de churches.

3. becca3416 October 19, 2012 at 9:05 am #

Titanic theme song. Celine and me. All the way. But, when that doesn’t work: I would walk 500 Miles – The Proclaimers.

• La La October 19, 2012 at 9:10 am #

Yes! Proclaimers and I have good times too!! You and I would have fun.

• becca3416 October 19, 2012 at 9:52 am #

We might also get in trouble, but I am down for that.

• Le Clown October 19, 2012 at 10:59 am #

Becca,
      So there you have it: Le Clown can’t sing… Minnie Riperton, that is.
      Le Clown

• becca3416 October 19, 2012 at 11:03 am #

I’d like you to make more videos of you singing please. Thanks.

• Le Clown October 19, 2012 at 11:06 am #

Becca,
          I do not want to hog La La’s thread (La La, if it’s too much, please feel free to delete), but here’s Le Clown doing his best interpretation of Lana Del Rey:

Le Clown

• becca3416 October 19, 2012 at 11:24 am #

I can always count on you to deliver. Sorry La La I am new around here.

• La La October 19, 2012 at 1:09 pm #

Me too. No worries.

• Maddie Cochere October 19, 2012 at 11:40 am #

Oh my gosh! Le Clown, these videos had me rolling and crying! … La La, I love that in both he was singing all the La La parts to you. :-)

4. workspousestory October 19, 2012 at 10:23 am #

I have a million power ballads that rock my world. They change every few months, sometimes coming back to the previous ones. Used to be Whitney Houston… then Bon Jovi… then Aretha… and now it’s somewhere between 70s Motown and Prince. If I really have to choose one…

• La La October 19, 2012 at 10:29 am #

LOVE IT! You’re awesome. Mine change up too, they tend to match my moods.

• workspousestory October 19, 2012 at 10:42 am #

Thanks hun x

Then again, this could be the anthem of the masochists. Or the submissives..

• workspousestory October 19, 2012 at 10:43 am #

Also now I feel guilty for not picking Purple Rain. But at least I chose one not everyone knows ;)

• La La October 19, 2012 at 12:56 pm #

Unique is good!

• Christopher De Voss October 20, 2012 at 12:00 am #

I never meant to cause you any sorrow.
            I never meant to cause you any pain.
            I only wanted to one time see you laughing.
            I only wanted to see you laughing in the purple rain.

• workspousestory October 20, 2012 at 7:31 am #

Well now I feel like crying again!

My favourite bit:
              I never wanted to be your weekend lover
              I only wanted to be some kind of friend, hey
              Baby, I could never steal you from another
              It’s such a shame our friendship had to end

• Christopher De Voss October 20, 2012 at 9:20 am #

no crying.

5. Carrie Rubin October 19, 2012 at 10:58 am #

Hmmm, I’m not much of a ballad person, but maybe the Scorpian’s “Still Loving You.” Is that lame?

• La La October 19, 2012 at 12:55 pm #

It’s perfect. I’m serious, absolutely perfect.

• Carrie Rubin October 19, 2012 at 1:18 pm #

Oh, good. Cause it’s on my iPod, and I don’t want anyone thinking I listen to geeky music…

6. Love and Lunchmeat October 19, 2012 at 11:01 am #

I may or may not own the fine compilation referred to in informercials as “Monster Ballads”. And if I did own it, I might have difficulty choosing a favorite, because each song is so terribly overwrought that they’re all fucking awesome!

Cymbals clash. “When I look into your eyes, I can see how much I love you and it makes me want to cryyy…”

• La La October 19, 2012 at 12:55 pm #

Oh my god, I own Monster Ballads too!!!!!! Taaaake me to the magic of the moment on a gloorrry night….

7. Lori DiNardi October 19, 2012 at 11:31 am #

This is so weird … Wednesday and today I posted about my favorite song of all time. It’s not really a ballad, but it’s rock from the same era as Foreigner. Hmm, power ballad … I’d have to say just about any of them from Journey. :-)

• La La October 19, 2012 at 12:53 pm #

Oh funny, haha. God bless Journey! I am going to make a compilation of all of the answers!

8. Maggie O'C October 19, 2012 at 12:38 pm #

What’s that song, “Here I go again on my own” there was some big hair related to that song. Hold on, I’ll run the Google on it. Whitesnake!!!

• La La October 19, 2012 at 12:52 pm #

Aaaww yeah girl, Whitesnake! you can catch me with that one from time to time!

• Maggie O'C October 19, 2012 at 12:54 pm #

I had the 45 of Once Bitten Twice Shy.

and I forgot to tell you that I love this story and of course it would happen to you :)

• La La October 19, 2012 at 1:08 pm #

You’re amazing. Thank you ;-)

9. Brother Jon October 19, 2012 at 2:11 pm #

I can’t stand 80’s hair metal, but I think I still tap my foot along to Sister Christian by Night Ranger, if it happens to come on.

10. Jen and Tonic October 19, 2012 at 3:34 pm #

Whenever I think of rock ballads, one of the FIRST songs that comes to mind is Journey’s “Open Arms”. Talk about EMOTIONAL.

True story: I used to work at a Hallmark store when I was in high school, and I kid you not, this song would be played no less than two times an hour. Definitely not worth the $6/hr I was earning.

• La La October 19, 2012 at 3:36 pm #

1. I love the Hallmark store. 2. I wouldn’t love it as much if I worked there, most likely. 3. Heck yes to Open Arms, I shall add it to my youtube list! Thank you!!

• Jen and Tonic October 19, 2012 at 3:39 pm #

I love Journey, and I love rock ballads, but hearing it over and over and over again while you’re already sore about your friends not having to work during the summer…no bueno.

• pivoine68 October 19, 2012 at 4:46 pm #

I think that song would make me cry if I ever heard it again…which is unlikely.

I love Purple Rain and Stairway to Heaven…I always sing those songs in karaoke, they are all really LONG which makes my performances seem endless! ;) I suppose it’s unbearable.

Bisous La La and Jen and Tonic,
      Dawn

• La La October 19, 2012 at 5:09 pm #

Both of those are delightful. No crying!

11. Le Clown October 19, 2012 at 3:47 pm #

La La,
    No Guns N’ Roses’ Sweet Child O’ Mine?
    Le Clown

• La La October 19, 2012 at 4:02 pm #

Ooooooooo sweet love of miiinne. Adding it!

12. Madame Weebles October 19, 2012 at 5:13 pm #

I have to admit, Foreigner did a great power ballad. As did Journey. But I’m sad that there are no props for the original power ballad guys, REO Speedwagon.

• La La October 19, 2012 at 5:15 pm #

But now there is, and all is right with the world.

13. Sword-chinned bitch October 19, 2012 at 6:36 pm #

Of course the Turn Around Bright Eyes song — Total Eclipse of the Heart! And I need you now toniiiight, and I need you moooore than ev-er!

• Sword-chinned bitch October 19, 2012 at 6:37 pm #

Oh by the way that was some funny shit this man singing to the wrong woman — I laughed my ass off! Thanks!

14. Christopher De Voss October 20, 2012 at 12:09 am #

I was the guy in your school that listen to the weird music, so my first answer would be Sister Of Mercy’s “More”, but to be a little more mainstream I throw at you: Poison – Every Rose Has It’s Thorn, Def Leppard – Love Bites, and Queensrÿche – Silent Lucidity

• La La October 20, 2012 at 12:13 am #

Indeed, you bring much joy to this table of power ballads.

15. kenthinksaloud October 20, 2012 at 5:04 am #

It’s just as well you didn’t join in with the guy or he could have been in very serious trouble with his lady! I really can’t think of power ballads – the best I can come up with Pink Floyd’s “Wish You Were Here”. Ballad, yes. Not sure it counts as a power ballad though…

16. Storkhunter October 20, 2012 at 4:09 pm #

Not so much a power ballad but my song of the moment is Somebody that I Used To Know by Gotye. My fave song changes approximately as often as I change my underwear so depending when u read this, this comment might be irrelevant

17. The Hook October 21, 2012 at 8:52 am #

Man, this post takes me back…
    Thanks!

18. The Bumble Files October 21, 2012 at 2:38 pm #

Wow! La La. Look what you started with this. You can’t help but sing along with Foreigner. Am I right?

19. Kourtney Heintz October 21, 2012 at 10:57 pm #

Oh to spend a day in the life of La La. :) My fav power ballad is Pointer Sisters “Fire”. Don’t judge. ;)

1. Addictive. My personality? My blog! « work spouse story - October 25, 2012

[...] Tales of a Charm City Chick – a split personality girl, La La / Lauren is fucking hilarious. Sorry, there is no way of saying that without using an appropriate expletive. [...]

2. Music Monday #5: Power Ballads « Sips of Jen and Tonic - October 29, 2012

[...] couple of weeks ago, La La over at Tales of a Charm City Chick wrote a post about power ballads. This is a woman speaking my language because I absolutely love songs where the singer is [...]