NeverEnding Imaginations

20 Nov

I love reading creative posts and catching a glimpse of what’s inside the imaginations of other bloggers. My imagination gets wild and crazy and I can think of a few childhood experiences that certainly played a major role in that development.

One example is my love for the 1984 film The NeverEnding Story.

Cue majestic music, bitches:

When I was a kid, I made my parents rent that movie every weekend for approximately two years. Something about it truly grabbed my imagination and expanded La La Land into a vast empire where I am still a beautiful empress with a British accent. I also blame it for giving me imaginary friends (a mermaid and a turtle) that lived in the sewer.*

At night I made up related stories while curled up on the floor in my Care Bears sleeping bag. In my head, I WAS The Childlike Empress and I lived in an ivory tower made of glorious light. I imagined (still imagine, just kidding, kind of) someday walking down the aisle wearing her headpiece:

But with real pearls. Image from Etsy.

Except back then I was jonesin’ for some Atreyu:

Atreyu sporting the Auryn. Image from Google.

Is there something from your childhood that you associate with the development of your imagination? Do you still make up stories in your head as you fall asleep? Have you ever put someone’s baby on a dog and pretended he was riding Falcor? No? Oh. I guess I haven’t either, then. That would be a weird thing to do.

Also, this is the song from the movie. Look at this guy. Just look at him…and there upon a rainbow is the answer to a never-ending story.

______________

* My imaginary friends and I are no longer in contact.

47 Responses to “NeverEnding Imaginations”

1. Christopher De Voss November 20, 2012 at 3:09 pm #

It’s been a long time since I have seen it. Get the popcorn, some wine, and the lizard tongue and let’s watch.

2. becca3416 November 20, 2012 at 3:15 pm #

I wanted to ride Falcor so bad. I remember the Labyrinth more though.

• La La November 20, 2012 at 3:22 pm #

Yes, a common choice for blog posts, so I went with what I know. Falcor is such a cute luck dragon.

3. Carrie Rubin November 20, 2012 at 3:31 pm #

My days of reading Nancy Drew and The Hardy Boys books no doubt fueled my imagination. Although I didn’t end up a detective, I can at least now write about them. :)

• La La November 20, 2012 at 3:45 pm #

Exactly. That’s a great one! I loved Nancy Drew.

4. The Hook November 20, 2012 at 3:35 pm #

Imaginary relationships are tough., but imaginary break-ups are a real bitch!

5. Ned's Blog November 20, 2012 at 3:48 pm #

Definitely have to keep the imagination going, that’s where that fire in some people’s eyes come from. Most people have settled for a night light. My wife and I just watched The NeverEnding Story last week. The part where his horse sinks into the swamp still gets to me!

• La La November 20, 2012 at 4:40 pm #

That fire is so important for writers. I could never settle for the night light. And the horse! Oh my gosh. How was I not a traumatized child after that?

Thanks for the comment and stopping by!

6. Madame Weebles November 20, 2012 at 4:19 pm #

Count me as another Nancy Drew person. I wanted to be Nancy, but I would have required a way hotter boyfriend than Ned, who was really, really lame.

7. rheath40 November 20, 2012 at 4:20 pm #

Love the movie. I was a teenager when it came out. I was enthralled with it. I watched it over and over. I’m so glad that you like it too. The special effects are horrid compared to what could be done with it now. But like the movie, Legend, I would hate to see a remake of it. I was so in love with Atreyu even though he was a tad young for me. Giggle.

• La La November 20, 2012 at 4:41 pm #

Haha the effects really were awful, I wonder if they will ever do a remake? I’m glad someone else liked it too!

• rheath40 November 21, 2012 at 8:26 am #

It’s so 80’s. That’s what I love about it. It’d be great if they did a remake, but not really. I’d feel like I lost part of my childhood.

8. RFL November 20, 2012 at 4:33 pm #

I loved that movie too. I’ve forgotten a lot of the details, so I probably need to see it again, but I remember that headpiece vividly! Great post. The Dark Crystal always got my imagination going too.

• La La November 20, 2012 at 4:43 pm #

I still haven’t seen Dark Crystal and a friend of mine has been telling me over and over again to see it. This convinces me! You should rewatch NeverEnding Story for sure!

9. Maddie Cochere November 20, 2012 at 4:44 pm #

I’ve never seen the movie, but I recall my kid talking about it an liking it. I love that you had a Care Bears sleeping bag. :-) I was Trixie Belden! She was a tomboy and solved mysteries with her best friend Honey Wheeler (who was much more refined). We sure used our imaginations a lot when we were kids.

• La La November 20, 2012 at 4:49 pm #

We did! Wouldn’t it be fun to revisit that state of mind for a day?

• Maddie Cochere November 20, 2012 at 4:51 pm #

It really would. I have four siblings, and the neighbor family had a kid for each one of us, and we had a wonderful time growing up. Our bikes were horses! :-) Thanks for a moment of nice memories, La La!

• La La November 20, 2012 at 4:53 pm #

Bikes as horses! I remember that, haha. You’re very welcome!

10. calahan November 20, 2012 at 5:16 pm #

I haven’t seen it, but my wife loves the movie.

• La La November 20, 2012 at 5:22 pm #

What got your imagination going?

• calahan November 20, 2012 at 6:07 pm #

Honestly, my imagination never stops. Sometimes I wish it would, though.

11. Storkhunter November 20, 2012 at 5:39 pm #

I read Enid Blyton’s Secret Seven. I always wanted to belong to a secret club where you needed a password to be allowed in to the meetings. Now, I password protect my phone – does that count?

• La La November 21, 2012 at 9:56 am #

It counts. Kind of. Do you have a fort? I feel like that’s important.

12. Bob November 20, 2012 at 6:31 pm #

You rock La La, the never ending story. Not so much.

Not bad but, not labyrinth A la David Bowie.

But that said you made my blog roll, so now all of my enlightened peeps have easy excess to La La land!

Congrats, Canada will love you!

13. gypsy116 November 20, 2012 at 7:30 pm #

I love/loved that movie, and yes, I do still make up stories in my head as I fall asleep :)

• La La November 20, 2012 at 10:09 pm #

That’s good to hear. It’s like counting sheep…kind of ;-)

14. davidhardingblogs November 20, 2012 at 9:48 pm #

Go back and watch it again – David Bowie’s trousers will change your life!
    Oh hang on, that was Labyrinth. Oops.
    But wow! What pants!

• La La November 20, 2012 at 10:11 pm #

Since you’re raving about them, I will watch Labyrinth again…for Bowie’s pants.

15. David Stewart November 21, 2012 at 9:00 am #

We didn’t have a TV when I was small, so I didn’t see Neverending Story until I was in high school. Still, very epic. I would say for me it was probably Lord of the Rings or Narnia. My mom read us those and other books before I could even talk and they shaped the way I look at the world and how my imagination works.

• La La November 21, 2012 at 10:00 am #

Lord of the Rings is/was a great one. It’s so easy to get lost in the that world.

16. Andrew November 21, 2012 at 10:27 am #

Atreyu! Shit I love this movie. Flying dragon dogs are the best.

17. jennigreenmiller November 21, 2012 at 8:38 pm #

you. are. funny. Laverne & Shirley. J’s over my breast and Milk-n-Pepsi’s. I think they were easy. Laverne & Shirley that is. That was my fantasy. I am done now. Happy Thanksgiving.

• La La November 21, 2012 at 9:49 pm #

Haha, that itself was a bit like a poem.

18. Jen and Tonic November 22, 2012 at 5:05 pm #

Was there anyone hotter than Atreyu at that time? Nope. My imagination ran wild because I didn’t have any friends. I spent so much time alone that it forced me to observe the world, and create scenarios in my head. I’m really appreciative that I still have that skill.

• La La November 22, 2012 at 5:18 pm #

I didn’t have friends either! I talked to stuffed animals for quite a few years.

19. DeeDee November 25, 2012 at 9:58 am #

I had a huge crush on Atreyu! Who didn’t? I loved that movie, but The Dark scared the crap outta me. Still does, but in a different sense…

20. No Blog Intended December 1, 2012 at 1:48 pm #

I was always making up stories, and most of them ressembled the books I was reading really hard :). I still make up stories sometimes, it’s so much fun…