A Dolly for Sue

3 Dec

I have to be honest with you guys, I am bitter about Christmas. The actual day is always nice, but everything surrounding it gives me a case of the mean reds. It probably has something to do with the fact that I’m getting older, I live alone, I only get one channel, my house is freezing cold and so on…

Look, this is my tree:

tree

One thing I do love about Christmastime? Stop-motion animation. You know, Rankin Bass style. My favorite is Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer. Surely you’ve seen it:

Rudolph

Rudolph and Hermey have a jam sesh

If you haven’t, basically what happens is that Rudolph’s parents hate his nose so they try to cover it up and during training his fake nose pops off and his girlfriend Clarice’s dad is all “heeell no” and Rudolph is sad so he runs away from home and goes on an adventure where he meets Hermey (aspiring elf dentist who also ran away) and a dude named Yukon Cornelius…the greatest prospector in the north. I am disgusted by the way he licks his ice pick. They join together and eventually the traveling trio come across The Island of Misfit Toys where everyone, of course, sings a song:

There was a question that plagued me each year as I watched this part. What’s wrong with the Dolly for Sue? She looks just fine to me (yes I have too much time on my hands).

This year, I finally looked it up to see if there is an explanation. Sure enough, I am not the only curious one. In his book “The Enchanted World of Rankin Bass,” Rick Goldschmidt explains, “In the original broadcast the Dolly’s screen time is mere seconds. I don’t believe Romeo Muller really gave the character much thought. She was granted more screen time in the 1965 and 1997 broadcasts which ultimately led many a fan to wonder what was wrong with her. Arthur Rankin says that Dolly’s problem is more psychological.”

While the rest of the toys were made incorrectly, the girly toy’s problem is psychological. Interesting.

So, what do you think?

My explanation is that her rag doll boyfriend dumped her because things just weren’t working out, so she got depressed and instead of coming back a stronger doll, she just cries, feels bad for herself and eats french fries all the time and the other misfit toys gossip and say things like “Greeeaat, here comes Dolly for Sue again, what a downer.”

Good god, Dolly, you’re embarrassing yourself. Get off your ass already and have some self-respect.

About these ads

45 Responses to “A Dolly for Sue”

1. Fish Out of Water December 3, 2012 at 12:13 pm #

Perhaps she has a learning disability. She can’t lip synch for crap.

• La La December 3, 2012 at 12:18 pm #

Haha, this is the answer! No one else even needs to reply. Amazing.

• Doggy's Style December 3, 2012 at 5:16 pm #

I swear to Zeus that this made me laugh really hard and also watch the video a couple of times, and yeah, she can’t lip synch.

• La La December 3, 2012 at 7:10 pm #

Haha I’m so glad she pointed that out!! Too funny.

2. Christopher De Voss December 3, 2012 at 12:16 pm #

Wait until you experience Christmas in Florida. Sunny skies, ocean breeze, decorating the alligators in holiday cheer…oh yeah, and explaining how Santa delivers toys to a place with no snow for his sled and no chimneys to slide down.

3. The Bumble Files December 3, 2012 at 12:28 pm #

I’m going to be watching this show more closely now. I do recall wondering a bit about the doll before now that you mention it. Isn’t there something wrong with her eye? It’s on tonight! I’ll be watching. I love your explanation. It’s perfect.

• La La December 3, 2012 at 12:34 pm #

Oh! Good timing on my part. Let me know what you think!

4. T. W. Dittmer December 3, 2012 at 12:33 pm #

Off to Tiffany’s with you, girl. You need to go shopping.

• La La December 3, 2012 at 12:35 pm #

I wish!! I watched the movie the other day for the first time. Loved it.

5. becca3416 December 3, 2012 at 1:18 pm #

Damnit Dolly! Those shoes look comfy can I have them? I’ll trade you a real tree. By the way, I also love stop motion.

• La La December 3, 2012 at 1:19 pm #

I’m sure you’ve become well acquainted with ABC Family’s 25 Days of Christmas….

6. Storkhunter December 3, 2012 at 1:24 pm #

I’m gonna stick up for Dolly. When you’re depressed it’s so much better to spend time with other misfits than with smiley happy people. Now pass those french fries.

• La La December 3, 2012 at 1:27 pm #

Listen I will eat those french fries for a couple of months before getting myself together, but 48 years? It’s time.

7. Love and Lunchmeat December 3, 2012 at 2:22 pm #

Maybe it’s not sexism, but some other form of ‘ism. Maybe she’s considered broken not for psychological reason, but for not being blonde and blue-eyed. I don’t know. 90% of my dolls were blonde and blue-eyed…

8. Madame Weebles December 3, 2012 at 2:59 pm #

I never would have noticed that in a million years, the fact that Dolly for Sue didn’t really have any problems. I really liked the train with the square wheels and the polka-dotted elephant. But of course the female doll would have to have psychological problems, right?? I bet poor Dolly has body dysmorphic disorder. She looks in the mirror, thinks she’s fat, and that’s what makes her binge on french fries.

• La La December 3, 2012 at 3:39 pm #

Dolly just needs some therapy, assuming the North Pole provides such things. I really want some french fries now. I’ve been thinking of them ever since I wrote this.

9. gingerfightback December 3, 2012 at 3:22 pm #

Your tree is cool – is the singular of Tinsel – Tinse?

• La La December 3, 2012 at 3:43 pm #

Thank you. Yes, it is. This particular tinse came with the tree and the whole thing was $9.99. Hey big spender.

10. rheath40 December 3, 2012 at 3:28 pm #

Because you are so cute, I nominated you for an award. Oh and I like your writing too.

11. davidhardingblogs December 3, 2012 at 4:31 pm #

Thank you! We have been wondering about this for YEARS!
    Also, Chris is a ghost, sorry.
    Also, I want your tree.
    Also, I use also too much. Also?

• La La December 3, 2012 at 7:12 pm #

Were you really wondering? Also.. if Chris is a ghost…that means a lot of weird things are afoot.

• davidhardingblogs December 3, 2012 at 11:29 pm #

And he doesn’t have feet! He just floats around like a footless sheet.
        And yes! It’s always like, that Dolly has no issues!

12. Carrie Rubin December 3, 2012 at 4:47 pm #

I don’t know what Dolly’s problem is, but I do know that what you’re lacking in the Christmas tree department, you’re more than making up for in the slipper department. Did those bad boys come from a tiger herself?

• La La December 3, 2012 at 7:14 pm #

Yes, custom made. Aren’t they just a dream? A large cat died so I could be beautiful.

• Carrie Rubin December 3, 2012 at 7:19 pm #

As it should be. ;) (Thought I better add that winky emoticon lest someone think I’m a cruel soul.)

• La La December 3, 2012 at 7:33 pm #

Sound idea, I can see them coming for you or something without it!

13. calahan December 3, 2012 at 5:00 pm #

The Island of Psychological Misfit Toys, eh? My guess is that Dolly was given to a little boy who loved her very much, but the boy’s father, fearing his son would somehow become the source of ridicule, set Dolly adrift on an iceberg and she ended up on the island. She’ll get her revenge, though. Nobody messes with Dolly.

• La La December 3, 2012 at 7:11 pm #

Dolly gonna take names and cut a bitch.

14. David Stewart December 3, 2012 at 7:18 pm #

Maybe she was stuffed with asbestos, or part of the short-lived Tickle Me Ebola line of dolls.

• La La December 3, 2012 at 7:34 pm #

That Tickle Me Ebola was such a hot item! ;-)

15. Lori DiNardi December 3, 2012 at 8:11 pm #

Oh Gawd, Downer Dolly Sue. I’ve always loved that Rudolph special too. I also enjoyed Santa Clause is Coming to Town … the Burger Meister, Meister Burger. BTW, I understand how you feel this time of year. It gets me the same way at times. I don’t think it’s unusual. The season brings up all different emotions for a lot of people. Oh yeah, and Bumbles Bounce!

• La La December 3, 2012 at 8:34 pm #

That’s good to know. I’ve always wondered about it and sort of blame nostalgia and generally just growing up. Love the Meister one! I watch what I can when I catch them. Moving to Florida within the next couple of months (hopefully) by the way. Before summer no matter what.

• Lori DiNardi December 3, 2012 at 8:54 pm #

The emotion thing – I think it IS nostalgia for all of us, and also the idea that we aren’t having the kind of holiday season we’d truly like to have, at least from my experience and others I’ve talked to.

Now, I was shocked to read that you’re moving to FL! I hope it’s something you want. I don’t know what part of the state you’ll be moving to, but we could always meet somewhere if it’s far. Give me a shout when you get here and get settled. Cool! Or, not so cool. It IS hot here after all, not cool. :-)

16. Maddie Cochere December 3, 2012 at 10:14 pm #

Maybe Dolly is an arsonist. She can’t very well set fires on the island of misfit toys. … Drink enough wine and your Charlie Brown tree and your slippers are beautiful! (I actually do kind of love your slippers.) Have you ever watched Mr. Magoo’s Christmas Carol. Has nothing to do with your post; just wondering.

17. jennigreenmiller December 3, 2012 at 11:18 pm #

I think you should narrate a second script, put it on tape, I’ll grab a bottle of wine, turn off the sound and listen to your dubbed version… Pleeeaasssee!

18. ladymiryaa December 4, 2012 at 2:46 am #

I can just hear the sad Charlie Brown christmas music when I see your tree….I think Dolly might have MPD and that is what makes her “different” from the other dollies. Or she is really a serial killer and has lured everyone to the island of misfit toys to start some sort of toy murdering rampage and then plead insanity with her non blinking beady eyes. hmmmm…this bears more examining

19. Jen and Tonic December 4, 2012 at 6:51 pm #

First of all, that tree kicks ass. Last year I had the tiniest tree and it would NOT hold an ornament.

Secondly, mentioning this movie brought back so many memories. I love it!

20. Rosemarie February 25, 2013 at 7:29 am #

Cute and funny! If only all cats were like this, we might be tempted to curl up next to them inasted of giving them a good chase, BOL!Your furbuddies,Joules & Prescott