She’s An Animal

17 Dec

Hunted

Your predatory plans are flawed,
my insatiable omnivore.

“Surrender–
I want the dirty girl hiding behind that sweet face,”
you say, salivating.

Cornered. Unsuspecting. Prey.

You think you will
take me down and
and devour me alive.

I think you forget
this is not my first time being hunted.

Alligator

Powerful and poised,
primal energy patiently
waits in the shallows.

Her time is coming.

Precision in motion, timing personified,
she has chosen wisely
and remains hidden
until her moment to shine.

Her subtle confidence
communicates strength and exudes knowing.

About these ads

39 Responses to “She’s An Animal”

1. jayne December 17, 2012 at 3:01 pm #

I love quiet seductive power.

2. T. W. Dittmer December 17, 2012 at 3:34 pm #

Well done. Give ‘em hell.

• La La December 17, 2012 at 3:35 pm #

I am so flattered when you like my writing. Thank you so much!

3. Kourtney Heintz December 17, 2012 at 3:57 pm #

Beautiful strong vivid writing. Thanks for sharing it La La! :)

• La La December 17, 2012 at 4:21 pm #

Always nervous to share poetry, thank you for the compliment!

4. Carrie Rubin December 17, 2012 at 4:47 pm #

My bet’s on the Hunted. She seems pretty tough. If that alligator is smart, he’ll look elsewhere.

5. becca3416 December 17, 2012 at 5:43 pm #

These made me hear an intense movie sound track in my head. That means they are good.

• La La December 17, 2012 at 6:02 pm #

Ha, we should write music to be the background to posts. Most of the time it would be circus music, but this one could get really intense!

6. jiltaroo December 17, 2012 at 5:57 pm #

La La you have many talents. Strong imagery, I felt I was there waiting in the bushes to see the end of this battle for life and death! Jen

• La La December 17, 2012 at 6:44 pm #

Thanks, Jen! Sometimes that’s what happens when you channel the inner animal!

7. Jen and Tonic December 17, 2012 at 6:12 pm #

That first portion! Wow, talk about being a tough broad. Love it.

8. The Hook December 17, 2012 at 7:28 pm #

Powerful stuff, La La. Good work.

9. gingerfightback December 18, 2012 at 3:24 am #

For some reason Rita Hayworth popped into my head when reading these. Enjoyed them.

10. davidhardingblogs December 18, 2012 at 5:52 am #

Double poem! Double like! Double cheese?

11. David Stewart December 18, 2012 at 11:29 pm #

That’s great. After all, who really is hunting and who is hunted?

• La La December 18, 2012 at 11:37 pm #

I never really know. OH MICKEY YOU’RE SO FINE, YOU’RE SO FINE YOU BLOW MY MIND, HEY MICKEY! You’re welcome.

• David Stewart December 18, 2012 at 11:42 pm #

Boom! There it is. As soon as I saw the first line, it was in there good. The caps helped too, thanks. I’ll sing it all day and then go get it in my wife’s head. Pass the love, I say.

“Oh Mickey, you’re so…” Dang it!

• David Stewart December 18, 2012 at 11:43 pm #

I keep reading your comment and laughing. :)

• La La December 18, 2012 at 11:47 pm #

Haha. I’ll be falling asleep to it. So, joke’s on me, too. Blast.

12. vyvacious December 25, 2012 at 7:10 pm #

I’m always so nervous to share my poetry on my blog even though I’ve entered some into a few contests here and there. Loved your poems though. I got nervous as I was reading Hunted.

• La La December 26, 2012 at 8:23 am #

You should share! I find it quite relieving. I was nervous though at first, too. :)

13. savioni August 2, 2013 at 11:36 am #

What I like about the poems:

1. How the woman, assuming this is your persona, greets her “all-eater,” the predator’s plans with the controlling word: “My.”

2. The assumptive assertion of “dirty” girl behind a sweet face, where dirty sex implies that the man seeks to degrade his lover, take her down by enveloping her, trying to hurt her, going in backwards, ripping and tearing, because she holds power over him. This is the ass-ertion. The dirty deed to bring the slave to her senses, where a man’s dominance cannot be questioned and you play with that willingly knowing that a man is truly enslaved by his desires and cannot be interrupted by the fact that there are two parties in this connubial interlacing. The tying up of the interloper and that where there might be mutual interest, it is clear that you hold the power, unless of course the man takes it upon himself to break the rules and yet your intelligence alludes to the ultimate control of the outcome – his shame and karmic, if not real, incarceration. It alludes to assumptions the aggressor makes, hoping the other is up for the party; otherwise it questions the very existence of the aggressor, his purpose, the nature of male and female relations.

3. That the ass-umer is wet with saliva.

4. Where: “Cornered. Unsuspecting. Prey.” could be the assumer; just as it could be the persona, but the ambiguity alludes to the persona, where “You think you will” comes to the fore. “And devour me…” It is so sexy, this libidinous strength, confrontation meeting sexual energy, and bold, selfish sexual energy, turns the predator on his head. How words could meet such destination. In your picture, I see the complementing wisdom of beauty with brains and self-confidence, where this dialog reveals so much about relationships in that they are about power, about the mental health of the prey, where does this confidence come from? (Rhetorical) When the seeming “weaker sex” confronts someone seemingly physically stronger, one sees that your words and words alone beat back the aggression, while also playing with it: A smaller spider taking on the larger. And all of this boils down to having been hunted before as the only answer. But, it can’t be. There is something much bigger controlling the arrangement. The mind is so much more the bigger sexual organ, and yet it must be played against the backdrop of a physically sexy person, or it becomes delusion. In combination, beauty and brains, rule the world until some total loser uses their physicality, which is like a woman using her physicality to seduce. This poem is about inequality and equality. It is about the dynamics of dating, where people always seem to forget the element of power and control.

In “Alligator” too, the word “shallows” alludes to some great camouflaged prey under the water, a woman, this time, whose time is coming, precise, timing as a person, choosing, and wisely, but then she “shines,” she does not collapse on her prey? Her jaws do not shut, clamp down, and crush? And yet, from past practice, her confidence is all. It communicates and shows that she is all knowing.

• La La August 2, 2013 at 12:15 pm #

Thank you, I appreciate that you went through this and analyzed it. I felt like I was being taught in a class for a moment, and I liked it!

• savioni August 2, 2013 at 12:20 pm #

I am flattered that you felt you were being taught. Your words, after all mean so much. They talk to both of us. They reveal me just as they reveal you and I am sure there are other perspectives, but you gave me the opportunity to speak. Amazing writing, you write!

• La La August 2, 2013 at 12:24 pm #

THANK YOU! It’s funny, this was a poetry week for me and it had been a few months!

• savioni August 2, 2013 at 12:36 pm #

I know it was a long time ago, but I wanted to read your poetry, at least more of it.

• La La August 2, 2013 at 12:47 pm #

Posted some today!

• savioni August 2, 2013 at 5:26 pm #

Been there. Had some ideas but had to go back to sleep. Maybe I will address them later.