Sunday Night Sublimity

18 Mar

I love when life provides a beautiful “moment” when everything blends perfectly and I am keenly aware that my soul, heart and brain are exactly where we all need to be. Do you know what I mean?

For me, this usually happens when I see something inspiring or have a life changing experience. For example, one time I was standing on the Cliffs of Moher in Ireland, taking in the beauty of the sea and rolling hills and it was overwhelmingly wonderful.

It happened last night, but in a different sense. My boyfriend and I were sitting in my car, seat warmers getting our buns nice and toasty, and he was telling me an awkward boner story. We were both draped in St. Patrick’s Day lighted necklaces…

PhotoGrid_1363625178972

…and for some reason Michael Bolton was playing…

IMG_20130317_214720

“Here I am,” I thought to myself, “having a tingly ‘moment’ while listening to this story about an awkward boner experience and we have on these lighted necklaces and for some reason Michael Bolton is singing ‘(Sittin’ On) The Dock of the Bay’ and he sounds kind of angry about it and when Sean and I get inside we are going to eat the f-bomb out of some delicious cupcakes and I wonder if he would still kiss me if I was wearing my stick-on orange mustache that my boss bought me for St. Patrick’s Day and hey, you know what? I’m happy.”

And then we went inside and ate those cupcakes and he said he would kiss me if I was wearing that orange mustache, but I didn’t make him. Not yet, at least. I’m gonna whip that thing out one day in like the middle of summer so I get mustache sweat or something and then he’ll have to kiss me because he said he would.

When’s the last time you had a “moment?”

52 Responses to “Sunday Night Sublimity”

1. twindaddy March 18, 2013 at 2:22 pm #

I honestly don’t know that I’ve ever had a moment like that.

• La La March 18, 2013 at 2:26 pm #

Surely you have while participating in Star Wars things, at least.

• twindaddy March 18, 2013 at 2:27 pm #

Star Wars is indeed awesome, but it’s never gave me that “everything in my life is right” feeling.

2. Adrienne schmadrienne March 18, 2013 at 2:43 pm #

Oh true love! It’s definitely found in the little things. Not the flowers and cards. The everyday, seemingly mundane moments.

• La La March 18, 2013 at 2:44 pm #

Yes, agreed. Tell me an example!

• Adrienne schmadrienne March 18, 2013 at 3:13 pm #

Often times, when I leave for work it’s still dark outside. The Masshole doesn’t have to be up for a few hours. I go to say bye to her and she doesn’t open her eyes but puts her arms up to hug me. No matter how tired she is, we tell each other 3 things and do one. The 3 I’ll keep to myself but I always kiss her in the corner of her eye right by her nose. We say it’s our power source, like recharging our batteries. Kind of stupid but I fucking love that. Then she goes right back to sleep as I trudge off to work.

• La La March 18, 2013 at 3:33 pm #

Aww, I like that a lot…”recharging our batteries” is a perfect way to describe it. Thank you for sharing!

3. rheath40 March 18, 2013 at 2:47 pm #

Oh La La. That’s true love right there. My last moment was when I was eating Ethiopian food with my hands with Roger Darling. He reached over and sucked the curried beans right from my fingers. I sighed. It was there that I knew I was where I was supposed to be. Don’t lose that mustache. You must kiss him with it, out of the blue someday.

• La La March 18, 2013 at 3:01 pm #

That is hilarious and a great visual. I have that mustache in a special place, don’t you worry.

• rheath40 March 18, 2013 at 3:22 pm #

Good. Can’t wait to read the story about it.

4. merbear74 March 18, 2013 at 3:09 pm #

I had that feeling the other day when my husband was holding me in the kitchen a few hours after my oral surgery. Maybe it was the Vicodin.

• La La March 18, 2013 at 3:11 pm #

Crap…maybe it was just the cupcake anticipation? That is sweet of him though. Hope you’re feeling better after the surgery!

• merbear74 March 18, 2013 at 3:15 pm #

I think it was a combo. ;) I am alright, but still can’t chew. Smoothies are my best friend right now.

5. Carrie Rubin March 18, 2013 at 3:28 pm #

It’s often the little things that give us those moments. My last moment was last weekend when my husband, my sons, and I were all watching The Big Bang Theory. We were laughing out loud, and all of a sudden, it dawned on me that we won’t always have this. Someday the kids will be gone, laughing at the Sheldons of the TV world with their own families. And even though that made me a little sad, it also made me treasure the moment and be grateful for what I have. There really is nothing better than hearing the ones you love laughing and having a great time.

• La La March 18, 2013 at 3:34 pm #

Aw, your moment actually gave me a moment. Thank you so much for sharing it.

• Carrie Rubin March 18, 2013 at 3:40 pm #

See? You got me pouring my heart out. Well played, La La, well played.

6. jai March 18, 2013 at 3:57 pm #

Had one last night too. Was pretty intense. Involved a couch, true crime tv shows and a boyfriend i dont think I can put into words how grateful i am to have found, and his nook. the man has a pretty sweet fuggin nook.

• La La March 18, 2013 at 4:00 pm #

A sweet fuggin nook? Luccccckkkkkkky.

• jai March 18, 2013 at 4:03 pm #

I mean, its just a shoulder, really, but its the most amazing shoulder I ever rested my head upon.

• La La March 18, 2013 at 4:04 pm #

A shoulder that gets your head on it is a lucky shoulder.

• jai March 18, 2013 at 4:08 pm #

Tehehee. I blushes!

7. becca3416 March 18, 2013 at 4:13 pm #

Fuckin’ right on! It’s these moments when it all clicks and you’re like, “Yes. Okay. I knew this had to be right”. I wonder if someone would kiss me with my blue mustache that only you witnessed that one time. *epic girly high five for the moments*

• La La March 18, 2013 at 4:14 pm #

Also….*epic girly high five for the email exchange we had the other night.* hahahaha

8. The Bumble Files March 18, 2013 at 4:28 pm #

I want your moment, La La! You mean like romantic moments….can’t remember!! I’ll have to get back to you. Cherish the moments, my friend.

• La La March 19, 2013 at 11:05 am #

I liked your moment that you shared. Even that lizard.

• The Bumble Files March 19, 2013 at 12:04 pm #

I have a thing for lizards, even if they’re headless…that poor thing! Thanks.

9. Katie March 18, 2013 at 5:46 pm #

I have those moments a lot when I’m walking around downtown. Even though there’s always someone walking too slow because they’re staring at their phone or a crazy person arguing with a homeless person, something about the noise and hurry really contents me.

• Katie March 18, 2013 at 5:47 pm #

I have those cute moments with the boyfriend all the time. The relationship I have with myself is entitled to preciously moments too. :)

• Katie March 18, 2013 at 5:48 pm #

Precious. Sheeeeesh.

• La La March 19, 2013 at 11:11 am #

Aww. Downtown has given me that feeling too, and when on the train and I am doing people watching. Something about it.

10. Andrew March 18, 2013 at 8:26 pm #

First off, I didn’t even know Michael Bolton sang a cover of that. Now I have to go track that down. As far as wonderful life moments go, I would have to go with yesterday also. St Patty’s day brunch with my girlfriend, surrounded by drag queens dancing to “Whoop, whoop, that ass too fat”. I got lucky enough to be matched with somebody who likes having more fun than I do.

• La La March 19, 2013 at 11:04 am #

Andrew, I looked up the video after reading your comment and if you don’t look it up, I will hunt you. Michael Bolton gets so mad about the dock of the bay, I am telling you.

Your brunch sounds like it was amazing and I have a feeling my boyfriend and I would have also enjoyed that (because we both agreed when we read this comment).

• Andrew March 19, 2013 at 8:05 pm #

Hahaha, so good! His hair makes me wish I could “like” it twice.

11. Monk Monkey March 19, 2013 at 4:10 am #

I had a moment yesterday. I don’t like star wars really but I love board games and recently ordered a new star wars game. It came yesterday and I was so happy. Its such a beautiful thing with all these gorgeous miniatures of xwings and stuff that are sooooo cool but sooooo fragile. There was no way i was letting anyone touch them. Until my three yr old saw them and fell in love. I let him play and I was so happy to see them enjoy them and so proud Ididnt care.

12. gingerfightback March 19, 2013 at 6:12 am #

On Friday – Won a few bob on a horse race and took Ma Fightback out for dinner wid da winnings – my table manners held up and we had a lovely evening. She’s my girl!

• La La March 19, 2013 at 11:07 am #

Ma Fightback is one lucky gal. At first when I read this I though it said you went out for wings and I was like LUCKY, and now I want wings.

13. David Stewart March 19, 2013 at 10:27 am #

That does sound like a great moment, even if you weren’t wearing your orange mustache.
    The last time I remember that sort of moment very strongly was when I was hiking by myself on some islands a month or so ago. Everything was just perfect; I didn’t want to go home. (you probably saw the pictures, but if not: http://greenwalledtower.wordpress.com/2013/02/26/well-im-back-he-said/) :)

• La La March 19, 2013 at 11:00 am #

Loved your pics, David!

14. calahan March 19, 2013 at 4:59 pm #

This post makes me happy. :)

15. The Hook March 21, 2013 at 4:21 pm #

I’ve been married for 18 years because those “moments” haven’t faded from my life.

1. The Sublime Resumes | The Bumble Files - March 19, 2013

[…] on her blog, La La posted about sublime moments. La La said it’s when “everything blends perfectly and I am keenly aware that my soul, […]

2. Tunesday-Tiny Dancer, Adam Boy and Sublime Moments | Rendezvous With Renee - March 19, 2013

[…] La La for your tale of sublimity. I liked it so much I had to share one of […]