Katie Couric: Part 1

22 Apr

Two weeks ago, my boyfriend and I went to NYC because yours truly was a guest on Katie Couric’s daytime TV show on ABC. Basically, one of my posts here (I will repost it before the show airs, I am not yet sure of the date) caught the attention of a producer and they invited me to be on the show. Crazy, I know.

I was nervous. I mean, I barely know how to walk in a straight line, my laugh is kind of ridiculous and I often stumble over my words. The other day when I sneezed in the parking lot at work, my shoe flew off and a guy laughed at me. A few weeks ago I fell while running and my shorts got pulled down and guess who wasn’t wearing panties?

What I am trying to say is that things can get weird around here, but I accept this. I was worried, however, that it would be difficult to control this general clumsiness/awkwardness and I didn’t really want to have to tell you a story about how I embarrassed myself in front of Katie Couric, an audience and cameras.

What was a girl to do? I was told that getting a lot of sleep would help, but instead my nervousness led us to margaritas:

PhotoGrid_1365800487126

and then this happened…

guy

…but too many margaritas and that creepy old bikini guy didn’t do the trick, you guys, so the next morning I was up at 5 am thinking of all the ways I was going to screw things up. I thought of how to get out of it and even pretended to have a stomach ache, which my boyfriend saw straight through and resulted in him physically taking my hand and pulling me through New York City to the studio. Bless him.

When we got there, I changed in the green room and went to hair and makeup. The women who fixed me up did a beautiful job, but I felt a bit weird because I don’t usually wear much makeup and I could tell it made my boyfriend uncomfortable, too:

____

Him: You’re so….sparkly.

Me: I knew it! I look like a sparkly whore!

Him: Well, don’t worry, it’s just makeup for TV and I bet up close Katie Couric will look like a sparkly whore, too!

____

The idea of me hanging out with Katie Couric while we both looked like sparkly whores made me feel a lot better.

We watched the first segment in the green room before someone came to get another woman and I for our segment. Everything after that felt like a whirlwind because suddenly, whilst in a cloud of hairspray, a guy was clipping a microphone to my bra, a woman was using a lint roller on me and the makeup artist was retouching my lipstick.

I don’t remember much that happened after that. The conversation with Katie Couric was short, and funny, but I have no recollection of what was said. She was nice and very laid back and mentioned afterward that she liked my slippers (more on that later) and that I was funny. I secretly celebrated with imaginary high fives all around to everyone nearby.

My boyfriend says I did well, but maybe he’s just being nice. Who knows. I didn’t fall, so that’s a plus. He did mention that he heard me guffaw at Katie’s sex joke while on camera, so I hope they edit that out because yikes.

Anyway, that sums up the time I was on Katie Couric’s daytime show….one of the most random things I’ll ever do. I’ll be able to tell you more about the subject later and will let you know when it airs if you want to DVR it or something.

71 Responses to “Katie Couric: Part 1”

1. JWo April 22, 2013 at 3:13 pm #

I can’t wait to see you on Katie!!

How does ones shorts get pulled down while running?? I’ve never had that happen, but then again it could be because I’ve never gone commando while running. ;)

• La La April 22, 2013 at 3:14 pm #

They were loose anyway, but basically I fell and slid a bit on the sidewalk and my butt was well exposed for all to see. My face gets warm just thinking about it!

• JWo April 22, 2013 at 3:16 pm #

Only you La La… Only you… ;)

• Daan van den Bergh April 22, 2013 at 3:22 pm #

Wait… So your butt was exposed and your face got warm. Does that mean your butt was on your face? Cause that would be pretty cool!

Oh, and hey! Long time no see!

Ps. I recently realized that after my blog re-design I took down your guest post about farts along with many others of my own that didn’t fit the topic. Sorry for that. Anyway, if you want it back I can dig it up from a backup. Wouldn’t be a problem.

Ps2. Congratulations on your eternal fame!

2. Rutabaga the Mercenary Researcher April 22, 2013 at 3:17 pm #

I’m freakin’ IMPRESSED! Was it the post about the boob job?

• La La April 22, 2013 at 3:18 pm #

No I wish. It was about sleep and from quite a while ago. I will post it probably next week some time. :)

• Rutabaga the Mercenary Researcher April 22, 2013 at 3:19 pm #

CONGRATULATIONS!!! That’s amazing – and pretty cool that producers cull these blogs to invite people to fall down with their panties off…or something akin to that.

• La La April 22, 2013 at 3:23 pm #

HAHA, this week we have Lauren who will be reenacting when she fell on her face and exposed her hindquarters for all to see, but at least she didn’t cut it on an agave!

• Rutabaga the Mercenary Researcher April 22, 2013 at 3:21 pm #

Oh you’re a Lauren? My cousin was called La-La as wee tot and is also a Lauren. I will always think of her as La-La

3. oldironhoss April 22, 2013 at 3:23 pm #

rock on – thanks because at times when I labor over my blog I think…I could be fishing or jogging without underwear…or drinkin moonshine…well thanks for the hope! I am sure you rocked it! ur way better lookin than Katie…

• La La April 22, 2013 at 3:29 pm #

Aw thanks! Enjoy your jog this afternoon sans underwear (go on and take the risk, it’s something you should do at least once in your life)!

4. Katie April 22, 2013 at 3:28 pm #

Oh my goodness, that’s pretty awesome! I can now say I follow a celebrity’s blog.

• La La April 22, 2013 at 3:30 pm #

Well that’s a stretch, but we can pretend haha. Thanks, lady!

5. Jen and Tonic April 22, 2013 at 3:30 pm #

I cannot WAIT to see the segment. After I found out that this wasn’t an April’s Fool Day prank, I got super excited. Now that I know Katie Couric is a sparkly whore, I’m even more amped up.

• La La April 22, 2013 at 3:32 pm #

To be honest, her’s looked less whorey and I was slightly disappointed.

• Jen and Tonic April 22, 2013 at 3:34 pm #

So you’re saying you looked more Robert Pattinson in Twilight, and she looked more Bryant Gumbel on The Today Show?

• La La April 22, 2013 at 3:37 pm #

Actually yes, except I looked slightly less ridiculous. I hope.

6. RFL April 22, 2013 at 3:31 pm #

Amazing!!!

7. rheath40 April 22, 2013 at 3:50 pm #

From one sparkly whore to another, I love you and I’m so proud of you. I can’t wait to hear more about it, and of course see the show.

• La La April 22, 2013 at 3:51 pm #

Aww, you’re my awesome sparkly whore friend. Add crowns and this is the best duo ever!

8. becca3416 April 22, 2013 at 3:52 pm #

Eeeee I can’t wait.

9. Anonymous April 22, 2013 at 4:08 pm #

Awesome! way to go!!

10. Chrissy April 22, 2013 at 4:09 pm #

Amazing, good for you! Why don’t you post it so we can check it out!!

• La La April 22, 2013 at 6:42 pm #

I will be soon! Thanks so much for stopping by.

11. Pixie Girl April 22, 2013 at 4:11 pm #

That’s so awesome! Can’t wait to see you. Remember to share the date and record for those abroad! xx

• La La April 22, 2013 at 6:41 pm #

I will do my best, still trying to figure out if we can do that. I may just have to tape a TV with my phone like a weirdo.

12. Carrie Rubin April 22, 2013 at 4:15 pm #

So cool! Please do let us know when it airs. I will definitely DVR that. I’m excited for you, and I’m sure you were terrific. What a good secret keeper you are!

13. Nowan Zen April 22, 2013 at 4:24 pm #

There’s nothing quite so fun as someone doing a public donkey honk. And what do yiu mean the bikini guy didn’t do it for you, that was going to be my next franchise opportunity. Call it “Hooters, Shooters and Pooters”

• La La April 22, 2013 at 6:43 pm #

Ok well with a name like that it absolutely must be done!

• Nowan Zen April 22, 2013 at 8:35 pm #

So……buttering me up already for a membership pass? :)

14. merbear74 April 22, 2013 at 4:48 pm #

So cool!! I would have thrown up.

• La La April 22, 2013 at 6:36 pm #

I felt like I could have, trust me!

15. Bob April 22, 2013 at 4:50 pm #

whooot, whoot La La, big celeberty! I thought I was big shit sneaking into that press conference for Paul McCartney today. Make sure you let us know when you’re on TV! I want to see that for sure!

• La La April 22, 2013 at 6:40 pm #

I will! And I read that post, so awesome :)

16. Lori D April 22, 2013 at 5:05 pm #

OMG, Miss Clumsy, how exciting! I’d love to try and guess which blog post got their attention.This is so cool. Was it LaLa’s TaTa’s?

About ten years ago I self-published a book that got the attention of local media (it’s when books actually came in paper). I was on a local talk show and totally made a buffoon of myself. The good news is, it was just local and not national. I refuse to let anyone see that video. In fact, I should probably burn my copy.

I’ll bet you did great, and I can’t wait to see it. And to think I knew you when you were a lowly blogger like me. ;-)

• La La April 22, 2013 at 6:39 pm #

That’s so funny, it is nerve racking on any type of TV related thing, I’m sure. I’d love to see that video!

17. twindaddy April 22, 2013 at 5:58 pm #

Really, you’re the only person I know who could go jogging and end up mooning people. You’re so classy.

• La La April 22, 2013 at 6:38 pm #

Well someone has to do it and I stepped up to the plate!

• twindaddy April 22, 2013 at 9:56 pm #

Next time I’ll need a YouTube offering, though. You know, pics or it didn’t happen.

18. The Bumble Files April 22, 2013 at 6:26 pm #

Yay, Lauren!! I can’t wait to see on the show! I’m sure you were amazing and you looked hot, too. I think this is only the beginning for you…

• La La April 22, 2013 at 6:37 pm #

We will see…thank you so much. I’d like to think something else is coming!

19. MonkmOnkeysblog April 23, 2013 at 5:01 am #

I haven’t head of Kate Couric but I have heard of you so you’re already famous in my eyes *oozes charm*

20. kenthinksaloud April 23, 2013 at 6:33 am #

Loved the story La La – we don’t get the show over here but I wish we did just so I can see you being a big star! Make sure you put it on Youtube! :)

21. stephrogers April 23, 2013 at 8:01 am #

Ooooh congrats! I wonder if it will air online or YouTube? We don’t get that show here

22. stuffitellmysister April 23, 2013 at 9:46 am #

Oh My Goodness! How exciting and how did you contain yourself?!?!?! I would have thrown-up…..or passed out….or just laughed without ceasing. Cannot wait to read your post and watch my famous bloggy friend! Congrats girl. You rock ♫ ♪ ♫

• La La April 23, 2013 at 10:47 am #

I barely contained myself. It was crazy! I am probably so so weird on camera, but oh well. It was a fun experience.

23. Andrew April 23, 2013 at 10:20 am #

That’s awesome! Congrats! You and your blog deserve the attention. Also that weird guy looks like a statue made of meat.

• La La April 23, 2013 at 10:46 am #

He was a statue made of fake tan and skin, mostly. Thanks, Andrew!

24. purplemary54 April 23, 2013 at 12:50 pm #

Wow. I’m not sure if I should be impressed, or annoyed that you’re going to make me watch the Katie Couric show.

25. calahan April 23, 2013 at 1:29 pm #

Holy crap! This is amazing news, LaLa. I’m really happy for you. :)

26. Not Quite Alice April 23, 2013 at 9:22 pm #

Can’t wait to see sunshine! I understand the sparkly whore. I hate makeup, it’s not us! Feels and smells funny.

27. David Stewart April 24, 2013 at 10:04 am #

That’s awesome, LaLa. Congratulations. Definitely tell us when it’s going to be on. I’ll find it online somehow.

• La La April 24, 2013 at 10:23 am #

They might put it online after it airs. I will let you know :)

28. MissFourEyes April 24, 2013 at 12:27 pm #

Congratulations! You’re famous now! Sign my forehead?

• La La April 24, 2013 at 1:37 pm #

But of course, what color sharpie would you like?

29. Lori D April 24, 2013 at 12:56 pm #

Hey Miss La La, if you get a chance, check out my blog post today 4/25/13. When I first saw the video posted there, I thought of how you said that you dance every day and lost weight. You’ll still be dancing 50 years from now like the lady on my blog. Check her out if you get a chance.

30. Madame Weebles April 26, 2013 at 2:12 pm #

I’m setting the DVR!

31. Kevin April 29, 2013 at 12:44 pm #

Pretty darn cool. At first I thought your post was that you an audience member so I didn’t read it until today. Sparkling whores….what a description! Which blog entry turned the producers onto you? Did I miss the “tipping point” blog entry? Did you mention it? Am I asking way too many questions?

Keep up the awesome work!

• La La April 29, 2013 at 1:29 pm #

I will be talking more about it this week, Wednesday most likely. Thanks so much! Basically they just liked a story and the way it was written and invited me on. Quite the experience!

32. Maddie Cochere April 29, 2013 at 7:15 pm #

My DVR is set. I can’t wait! I’m sure you were delightful! :-)

33. Kourtney Heintz April 30, 2013 at 4:31 pm #

Can’t wait to see it! Congrats on getting picked for the show. I can’t imagine how nervous you were. Thank goodness for your boyfriend. Bet it’s an awesome segment given how amazing your posts are here. ;)

1. Katie Couric: Part 2 | tales of a charm city chick - June 23, 2013

[…] may remember part one of the Katie story when I explained that a producer read my blog and had me on the show. The post she […]