VET

20 Nov

What does the term “Veteran” mean to you? I know we’ve passed Veterans Day, but stick with me here.

Maybe you think of a friend, grandfather, dad or daughter. The word “brave” might pop into your mind like it did in mine, or “a hero, someone willing to sacrifice his or her life for our freedom.” It’s also possible that you’ve connected a statistic or negative stereotype to the word, but actually know very little.

Have you ever considered a Veteran’s response to the same question? I hadn’t really, until Sean, a Marine Corps Veteran (and sure, my hunky boyfriend), started a project called VET that prompts Veterans to tell their story. A few of the quotes were later featured in his graphic design exhibition at the Maryland Institute College of Art.

MICA

VET Exhibition at MICA

I was surprised to see the time, content and emotion put into the responses. Each one was unique, raw and beautifully expressed.

As a civilian, the project gave me the chance to connect on a personal level with Veterans. When you think about it, it’s rare that we are given the chance to hear from individual Veterans in such a way and I am thankful for the insight I took away from the experience. It’s an important project to me, and not simply because my dude is running it. I think it provides a realness, heightens awareness and sheds a new/different light on what we think we know.

Today, an article was published on Veteran Empire about VET that talks about the creative process behind the project.

Also, if you know a Veteran, perhaps he or she may be interested in contributing to Sean’s project,which has been relaunched at TheVetProject.com

You can also help out by making a purchase on the site. Proceeds will be donated to the Seven Stars Foundation, a charity aiming to make a positive impact on
the children of both wounded and fallen military members through financial, emotional, and educational assistance.

About these ads

22 Responses to “VET”

1. The Hip Grandmother November 20, 2013 at 3:38 pm #

My daughter had a facebook post that caused an up-roar with her ‘peers’ (I use that term loosely). She believed that in order to be classified as a vet, one must finish AIT and Boot Camp (the required 181 days). The problem was, many of her graduating class was congratulating many people who have only been in a week. As a former military brat and the daughter to a War Veteran, I felt rather insulted..for my father. What do you think about this?

• La La November 20, 2013 at 3:55 pm #

I’d say it’s good to support them, but I believe it’s right to wait to congratulate people. That’s just my opinion, though. I agree with you.

2. Kathleen November 20, 2013 at 3:46 pm #

You are a very good girlfriend, have you been told yet today? :D

Alas I am not a veteran, but both my mother and my father were and I take great pride in that fact. My mother was a WAVE from 1943 to 1945 and only left the Navy because she married my father and they made her leave. — My father joined the Navy in 1939 and his first station was Pearl Harbor, HI. He was having a great time for two years in Hawaii. Employed, young, good-looking and single, until one Sunday morning in early December of 1941 he was sleeping in the barracks on Ford Island and the Japanese attacked. He retired career Navy. Both parents are gone now. I wish I knew more of their experiences. Dad didn’t really like to talk about Pearl Harbor.

Please thank Sean for me and mine. The site looks great. I will spread the word.

• La La November 20, 2013 at 3:56 pm #

Thank you, Kathleen, and thanks for sharing the story. My grandfather was also not big on Pearl Harbor discussion.

I’ll let Sean know! ;-)

3. avatarinstructordesintesis November 20, 2013 at 4:29 pm #

Reblogueó esto en ciencia y conciencia universal + cosmica cd 2014.

4. Bob November 20, 2013 at 4:42 pm #

That is so incredible, what an awesome way to learn. I’ve known a few vets in my day, all humble to a fault. Very generous, their lives forever changed by the tragedy off war.

Make sure you give extra big hugs to those vets in your life.

• La La November 20, 2013 at 4:46 pm #

Aw you too, Bob. As always, thank you for your thoughtful input.

• Bob November 20, 2013 at 4:46 pm #

Some of my best buds are in the Canadian armed forces

• La La November 20, 2013 at 4:48 pm #

Then hug them for me. It’s a long drive!

• Bob November 20, 2013 at 4:52 pm #

You tease

• La La November 20, 2013 at 4:57 pm #

Just stating a fact!

• Bob November 20, 2013 at 5:07 pm #

Oh La La of course, I’ve felt the frisky vibe and for sure I’ll be humping it along.

• La La November 20, 2013 at 5:11 pm #

Bob, you smoke too much. Now go give some hugs!

• Bob November 20, 2013 at 5:21 pm #

I don’t smoke at all la la, unless you count medical marijuana… Oh yea funny girl

5. T. W. Dittmer November 20, 2013 at 5:49 pm #

Nice. :-)

6. Anonymous November 20, 2013 at 6:34 pm #

La La, this is truly awesome. It’s a great way for Vets to express things that might go left unsaid. You must be quite proud of your boyfriend. What great work!

• La La November 20, 2013 at 6:48 pm #

Aw thank you, I agree. I am very proud. :)

7. Twindaddy November 21, 2013 at 10:03 am #

Awesome!

8. jeandayfriday November 21, 2013 at 10:37 am #

The VET expedition looks so powerful. I would love to see it in person. My dad was drafted during Vietnam. I remember in the late 80s, there was a Veterans Day parade in our town, and he turned to me and said, “I wish this had happened when my friends came home from Vietnam, but I am glad it is happening now.” It was so overwhelming and heart wrenching to me.
    To the veterans and those serving our country today – thank you so much! And a shout-out to your Sean! :)

• La La November 21, 2013 at 10:50 am #

He says thanks for the support, and thank you for sharing that story.

9. vastlycurious.com November 21, 2013 at 11:56 am #

I am deeply grateful to all Veterans!