Pure Moods

16 Dec

When I was a dorky 13-year-old, I bought the Pure Moods compilation CD after seeing an infomercial for it at a sleepover. There was something about it that drew me in, something bewitching.  If you’ve never heard of it, please, watch the commercial and find yourself as enchanted as I was:

Are you under the Pure Moods spell yet? Thought so. There’s probably a mist rising all around you at this very moment.

The song from this extraordinary compilation that really got me was “Return to Innocence” by Enigma. Watch this magical tribute to wolves whilst the song makes gentle love to your ears (for optimal results, please listen as you continue on your literary journey):

So at this awkward stage in my life when I wore a headgear and was the same weight I am now, my biggest dream ever was to kiss a boy and whenever I listened to the song, I visited a magical land where Jeff Goldblum or some really cute boy grabbed me and at first I was all, “I don’t know about this,” but then I would succumb to his lips and fall into his arms while the wind blew through my long hair and behind us were green, rolling hills and a beautiful white horse with sparkles in its mane galloped by and then suddenly we would be holding hands and running through a lush forest and….and….

let’s just say it was a painful many, many years until a boy actually kissed me.

Last night I told my boyfriend that story and he said, “Okay, well we can listen to the song and kiss and stuff if you want.” Then we did, and now there’s an incredibly ecstatic 13-year-old girl in my heart (and later she will probably be squealing at the cafeteria lunch table and giving high fives all around to her friends and they’ll be like OMG YAYY this SO beats writing angsty poetry).

Anyway.

I guess I should also mention that it was pretty weird making out with that wolf video in the background. It didn’t quite capture the “spirit” I was hoping for. Maybe if he was wearing a wolf t-shirt or something and I had a dreamcatcher tattoo? I don’t know. Perhaps we will try that out next time.

So, did (do) you ever imagine making out to a particular song? Of course you did (do)–please share it below and I will post something special tomorrow with your answers!

That’s not the beginning of the end
That’s the return to yourself
The return to innocence.

About these ads

64 Responses to “Pure Moods”

1. pivoine68 December 16, 2013 at 11:30 am #

LaLa, I’ve been missin’ you!

Big Bisous,
    Dawn

• La La December 16, 2013 at 11:35 am #

Aw, hi Dawn! Miss you, too. xoxo

2. The Waiting December 16, 2013 at 11:50 am #

OMG PURE MOODS. I completely remember this, and just now, listening to that commercial, I knew what song was coming before I heard it. Soooo I guess what I am saying is that we are kindred spirits. When I was in high school I always imagined making out to Pearl Jam, primarily because I wanted to make out with Eddie Vedder.

• La La December 16, 2013 at 11:54 am #

I imagine you watching the commercial and the serious way you considered ordering it. Any Pearl Jam song in particular? Or just went to town to all of them?

3. Madame Weebles December 16, 2013 at 12:08 pm #

You have the best boyfriend EVAR. I don’t think I ever thought about makeout music. I was just so sure that I’d never actually have someone to make out with, that the idea of accompanying music was way beyond anything I could contemplate realistically.

However, I will say that “Back to Life” by Soul II Soul is great for making out. Or other stuff.

• La La December 16, 2013 at 12:12 pm #

Hahaha I’m imagining your heavy makeout session set to Back to Life by Soul II Soul and it’s amazing. Thank you. I guess that was the real reason I asked, anyway. Imagining everyone making out to songs and creeping in on your moments.

4. Carrie Rubin December 16, 2013 at 12:44 pm #

Jeff Goldblum, huh? I suppose he does have a certain allure, particularly in his younger years. Great, now wolves, Enya, and Jeff Goldblum are circling through my mind. Anything’s possible on La La’s blog.

• La La December 16, 2013 at 12:49 pm #

You just have to let it flow, Carrie. Let it all happen.

5. The Bumble Files December 16, 2013 at 1:02 pm #

Oh, I remember this Pure Moods commercial. The wolf song I know, but have never seen the video. I liked Phil Collins, Take Look at Me Now, that Against All Odds song! I thought that would have been perfect! Ha ha. I can’t believing I’m revealing this…Don’t tell anybody.

• La La December 16, 2013 at 1:07 pm #

I love Phil Collins. I won’t tell anyone, except for when I share your full name with the world on my “list of songs people liked to listen to while making out.”

• Jen and Tonic December 16, 2013 at 10:50 pm #

God, I love that song.

6. thejasonmingle December 16, 2013 at 1:08 pm #

One time I made a playlist for me and my then lady friend to make sex to. Everything was going fine until “If I Could Turn Back Time” by Cher came on. She promptly stopped everything that was going on and made me turn it off. I guess chicks don’t like Cher as much as I thought they did.

• La La December 16, 2013 at 1:14 pm #

Whatever, that chick was boring because Cher rules!

7. Johnny Ojanpera December 16, 2013 at 1:36 pm #

Roxette, “It must have been love”. I think I was around 13 when that smoking hot ballad was playing on FM. I’m still waiting for that make out session. The misses makes fun of me for liking it, still. I think Pure Moods might inhibit me nowadays, for laughter.

8. Kathleen December 16, 2013 at 2:05 pm #

Pure Moods is obviously “the perfect soundtrack for your way of life.” (0:17)
    :D

• La La December 16, 2013 at 2:18 pm #

It’s like they knew me personally, ya know?

9. Aaron December 16, 2013 at 3:19 pm #

Wicked Game by Chris Isaak, the music video had something to do with it.

10. JWo December 16, 2013 at 3:27 pm #

While I’m sure I was like most young teenage boys in the late 80s/early 90s dreaming of making out with Madonna, Debbie Gibson, Tiffany or even Lita Ford, the song that stands out most in my mind was Warrant’s “Cherry Pie.” But not for the reasons you think.

In walks her daddy
    Standin’ six foot four
    He said you ain’t gonna swing
    With my daughter no more

I dropped my girlfriend off at her house one day and she invited me inside since we had the house to ourselves. I remember taking my shoes off in the living room and heading to her room to make out.

We weren’t in there very long, definitely not long enough for anything to really get started, when we could tell someone was in the house. It was her Dad, who was a big, bear of a man that stood 6’4″ at the least.

We freaked out and I ran to the living room where I began putting on my shoes (black Air Jordan IV (1988-1989) and hoped to sneak out without him actually seeing me. I wasn’t so fortunate.

He was in the kitchen and popped out to open the door for me as I tried to leave.

Dad: Guess we won’t be seeing you anymore.
    Me: Guess not.

I jumped in my car and hauled down their driveway.

I eventually came back and we dated for a little over 2 years, but that song always reminded us of her Daddy busting us.

• La La December 16, 2013 at 3:31 pm #

Oooh and an unfortunate, yet funny, story to go with it! Bonus! At least you got to see her again (and I’m glad this story wasn’t about touching pie inappropriately).

11. TJLubrano December 16, 2013 at 5:11 pm #

I never knew it was called Pure Moods!! I knew the song, but that was it. This goes with a lot of things in my mind. Vague collection of melodies and I don’t know from who it is.

Sheesh. I was so into the Backstreet Boys when I was a teenager haha! The song for a make-out session would probably be “Nobody but you” (their first album). I loved AJ’s voice. Never had a make-out session to the song though, not sure how it would be now as I’m not into them as much as I was younger hehe.

• La La December 16, 2013 at 6:44 pm #

It would probably be very funny. ;-)

12. Anonymous December 16, 2013 at 5:32 pm #

There’s something about that ‘X-Files Theme (Paranormal Activity Mix)’ that really gets the juices flowing. Every now and then I’ll throw that on, pop open a bottle of Dom, and just embrace the world opens up when that song is being played. DJ Dado knows how to appropriately combine the eerie, intense rhythmic cosmic vibrations of what was perhaps the GREATEST theme song to one of THE greatest Sci-Fi shows ever with a pre-dub-step twist reminiscent to that of a young DJ Muskrattt of Switzerland in the early 90s. Are you scared? Are you thinking of Mulder and Scully embarking on an exhilarating mission which involves hunting alien forces of insane roller coaster twists and turns of unexplored phenomena that gets your brainwaves thumping as you are THROWN INTO a supernatural atmosphere mixed with your basement that’s packed with over a dozen black lights from Spencers and more glow-in-the-dark stars your stole from your sister’s bedroom and all the fucking neon posters you can imagine that you bought with your Hot Topic gift card your grandma got your for Christmas last year? Well you should be. Get ready, you sons of bitches, because this remix is going to make you want to believe. I want to believe. I want to believe that there will be nothing greater than this song or this CD that I pretended got mixed in with my Skittles and Kenny G album when I first bought it at Sam Goody that fateful day. If you don’t know what a pure mood is… you will once you feast your hungry ears on this spectacular collection of sounds produced by gods. ‘Pure Moods’ will quench your thirst for love, affection, and musical longing. 18/20 by SPIN magazine. CHECK. 4 1/2 stars by VIBE Magazine? CHECK. “The only thing I have in my CD player right now.” – Stephen Hawking, 1995 quote in Rolling Stone. CHECK. And let’s not forget, Jonathan Frakes of Star Trek: The Next Generation makes a brief silhouetted cameo in the uncensored version of the original video for the song (trust me on this one). Call me when any other song or any other compilation gets better than this. Oh wait, it can’t. #PureMoodsForLife

• La La December 16, 2013 at 6:41 pm #

Assuming this is my boyfriend…HOW did we not meet sooner? (PS – Kenny G gave you away).

13. Jen and Tonic December 16, 2013 at 6:00 pm #

I BOUGHT THAT CD FOR THE SAME REASON. Even now when I hear the song I get super emotional. Fuckin’ Enigma.

My favorite song to make out to is “Kokomo” by Beach Boys because that’s as close to a tropical honeymoon as I’ll ever get.

14. ridicuryder December 16, 2013 at 6:31 pm #

La La,
    Mack the knife by Bobby Darin is interesting if she knows how to wolf-bite back without leaving too many marks.
    RR

15. Trent Lewin December 16, 2013 at 9:28 pm #

I remember this one. It had tubular bells on it, proper spook music. And oxygene. I have always figured I’d give up writing when I could write something with the vibe of that song. Totally takes me away.

Make out music? Depends on whether it’s with a guy or a girl. For my money, it’s all about Abba.

• La La December 16, 2013 at 9:42 pm #

Proper spook music is a perfect, British description. :) Also, I love ABBA…

• Trent Lewin December 16, 2013 at 9:47 pm #

Well, I am British. By way of canada, anyway.

• La La December 16, 2013 at 9:52 pm #

Your use of “proper” got me. If they went on tour, I know who would be there with me!

• Trent Lewin December 16, 2013 at 9:48 pm #

And I love Abba beyond belief. I wish they’d just get back together and tour. Hmmmm….there’s a story in that somewhere. I’m on it.

16. vyvacious December 16, 2013 at 10:41 pm #

Bahahaha! This is GREAT!! :P The problem with me and listening to music while making out and stuff is that I want to start dancing or singing along to it…doesn’t exactly set the mood…until I find another weirdo who will do the same with me while falling into a fit of kissing giggles. Haha!

Fuck this shit, I want to make out to Marvin Gaye’s “Let’s get it on”! HAHA. Then I’ll have the uber challenge of not snorting mid makeout session… Oh dear…I’m already laughing… Haha!

• La La December 16, 2013 at 10:59 pm #

If you could keep a straight face, I’d pay to see that!

• vyvacious December 16, 2013 at 11:04 pm #

From what I can see La LA, I think you’d pay to watch ALL OF US make out!! :P Hahaha

17. stephrogers December 16, 2013 at 11:24 pm #

I have to say I prefer not to imagine making out with people that I actually will make out with in real life because I don’t like to colour the experience with my imagination. However, I’m slightly less….um…romantic than you I guess. My pick would be Magical World (Bassnectar Remix) by Nelly Furtado. WTF? I hear you say… Here’s a youtube link

• La La December 17, 2013 at 9:05 am #

I like it! And find this completely unexpected. This is a new favorite.

• stephrogers December 17, 2013 at 3:48 pm #

Isn’t it great? But not romantic and dreamy like yours. I’m not really the romantic type.

• La La December 17, 2013 at 3:56 pm #

It is! I can’t stop listening to it. I’m too romantic, so you’re better off. It’s pretty gross.

• stephrogers December 17, 2013 at 4:02 pm #

Hehehe my girlfriend might disagree. She complains I’m never romantic. She asked me what I wanted for my birthday. I said a vacuum cleaner (I was sweeping the floor with a broom at the time). She got the vacuum cleaner for me, but I think she was shocked at how practical I really am.

• La La December 17, 2013 at 4:04 pm #

And I’m sure it was worth it in the end. Perhaps if we collided and created a practical romantic…

• stephrogers December 17, 2013 at 4:22 pm #

Ooh good idea! And yeah. LOVE the vacuum cleaner. I never appreciated that appliance until it was gone (first world problems)

18. becca3416 December 16, 2013 at 11:52 pm #

I laughed and awed at the same time at Sean’s response to your story. I imagine doing a lot of things to music. For example, I listen to Aqueous Transmission by Incubus when I want to pretend that I am eating sushi while floating down a river on a raft. But as far as making out… hmm.

I used to make out with my very first real boyfriend when I was 15 in an abandoned rent house to John Mayer. This song specifically:

I’m so obvious, right? How could anyone not want to make out… among other things… to John Mayer. But as an adult? Definitely have to say… still John Mayer. And this song for some reason: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgFiWGIVP6s

19. gingerfightback December 17, 2013 at 12:34 am #

I copped of with a girl called Jane when I was 15 to a song called Milk and. Alcohol by Dr Feelgood. If you get the chance look it up on you tube and worry for me about what sparks my emotions. Nice girl was Jane……..

20. El Guapo December 17, 2013 at 10:36 am #

Not just any wolf t shirt.
    He needs this wolf shirt. It’s teh reviews that matter. http://www.amazon.com/The-Mountain-Three-T-Shirt-5X-Large/product-reviews/B008B5IT8G/ref=sr_cr_hist_all?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

• La La December 17, 2013 at 10:43 am #

You just helped me order the greatest gift ever. He’s going to be so happy. I hope he gets me the lavender mountain unicorn castle shirt. *crosses fingers*

• El Guapo December 17, 2013 at 12:05 pm #

Ha! I eagerly await your amazon review of the shirt.

21. daoodabdallah December 20, 2013 at 9:56 am #

Reblogged this on abosarhdaoodabdallah.

22. David Stewart December 21, 2013 at 5:50 am #

Great writing, although it dredged up a lot of unpleasant memories of that awkward time in my life that I would rather forget. Glad that time is over with.

23. Alberto July 14, 2014 at 8:49 pm #

I see a lot of interesting articles on your blog. You have to spend
    a lot of time writing, i know how to save you
    a lot of work, there is a tool that creates unique, google friendly posts in couple of seconds,
    just search in google – k2 unlimited content

1. Ultimate Makeout Session Mix | tales of a charm city chick - December 17, 2013

[…] I, as you already know, chose “Return to Innocence” by Enigma. Below I included links to the writers and artists who participated and their songs of choice. I encourage folks to check them out as they are extremely talented and some of my very favorite creative people on all of the internets! […]

2. Pure Moods | mlabate - January 4, 2014