30 Lessons

5 Aug

There seems to be a major influx of 30th birthdays being marked with a list of 30 lessons learned along the road to 30. When I read these lists I can’t help but find them nice, but pretty common, impersonal and uninspiring (we all know we should save money, be grateful, date with intention, take care of our bodies and so on).

Just because we can spout off lessons we should be learning, doesn’t mean we’ve learned them. I’ve decided that for my 30th, which is about 8 weeks away, I’ll share 30 lessons I’ve actually learned–some will be common and some not so much. This of course requires a lot of little stories and tidbits, maybe a few per week even, and hopefully none of them will simply say “time heals all wounds” or whatever, followed by a round of shrugs and carrying on. I’ll start tomorrow and look forward to taking you on a real, sometimes embarrassing journey through my 30 lessons. Thank you for reading!

About these ads

32 Responses to “30 Lessons”

1. Maggie O'C August 5, 2014 at 12:11 pm #

You grew up so fast!

Liked by 2 people

2. stickywriter69 August 5, 2014 at 12:14 pm #

Happy almost 30 Day! Can’t wait to read your life lessons! Will hilarity ensue?

• La La August 5, 2014 at 12:31 pm #

Aw thanks! I think there may be a few lessons in there that may result in boisterous merriment. ;-)

3. Carrie Rubin August 5, 2014 at 1:42 pm #

This should be interesting…

• La La August 5, 2014 at 1:51 pm #

Haha, we shall see. Thank you for following my sciency twitter account the other day, by the way. ;-)

• Carrie Rubin August 5, 2014 at 1:55 pm #

Ooh, which one was that? Or maybe you can’t say. Separating your two worlds, so to speak.

• La La August 5, 2014 at 1:58 pm #

An account for a meeting that is coming up!

4. Twindaddy August 5, 2014 at 2:10 pm #

Woot! Can’t wait!

5. battlewagon13 August 5, 2014 at 3:36 pm #

I remember 30. Sigh.

• La La August 5, 2014 at 3:44 pm #

We are only as old as we want to be!

6. TheShitShowThatIsMyLife August 5, 2014 at 5:10 pm #

I hope these are as awesome and insightful and uncommon as you claim…

Also not everyone learns to save money or take care of their bodies that’s why there are older homeless people and people who die at 40. You know what they say about common sense.

• La La August 5, 2014 at 5:24 pm #

Agreed. It’s more that we’ve all heard we should be doing those things. Maybe my examples won’t each be uncommon, but hopefully will be a less cliché way of sharing what was learned.

• TheShitShowThatIsMyLife August 5, 2014 at 5:29 pm #

I hope so. I hope they’re really random and almost not useful. Like I learned what a crack house looks like. Interesting, almost not useful unless hunting crack houses.

• La La August 5, 2014 at 5:31 pm #

Few have that knowledge, so you’re basically a crack house hunt scholar.

• TheShitShowThatIsMyLife August 5, 2014 at 5:32 pm #

Lol well scholar us up with your wisdom or I’m probably gonna show up and do a rant on them being boring and cliche. Kidding, kinda.

• La La August 5, 2014 at 5:42 pm #

Haha, I’ll keep that in mind.

7. Bob August 5, 2014 at 7:29 pm #

Looking forward to your birthday tally of error free living! Hmm is that even possible in Baltimore, might cost extra. Fuck it, let’s just have fun instead!

• La La August 5, 2014 at 8:25 pm #

Good plan. That’s what the first post is about. :D

Liked by 1 person

8. peachyteachy August 5, 2014 at 7:37 pm #

Good call, spreading out all that wisdom and other stuff. Happy Early Birthday, Chickadee.

9. Johnny Ojanpera August 5, 2014 at 8:15 pm #

Thirty is magic, La La. The best part is that there is no map. :)

• La La August 5, 2014 at 8:25 pm #

That’s good news! Sounds like there is still plenty of exploring to do. :)

10. mollytopia August 5, 2014 at 9:34 pm #

Hooray-totally looking forward to every one of those posts!

11. theclocktowersunset August 6, 2014 at 1:23 pm #

Looking forward to your stories of wisdom and what I’m guessing are going to be a few good tips on drinking. But first a word to the wise from myself…… Go and get a calendar and check the date, not the day-date, I mean the year. Then do some personal math. My girl and I were entertaining one night and as the conversation got around to my upcoming birthday, she said how she wanted to throw me a big shin-dig and invite everybody who was there and a bunch of other people we knew. I was not that excited about this prospect as I’m not a giant fan of birthdays and being the center of attention. Any how as I’m arguing her intentions she says something like ” I wanna do something big for your 30th”, to wit I replied something like, “kinda getting a bit of a head start there aren’t you honey?” Then the “discussion” commenced as to how old I was going to be. She stated that she had thrown my party the year before and how could I not know I was going to be 30? I of course replied with something like ” I think I know how old I am” then proceeded to announce (to the room full of people) the year it currently was and then triumphantly followed that up with the year I was born. Let me tell you something, not much can make you look and feel like a colossal ass as being wrong in that situation. (Not to mention as far as I was concerned I just lost an entire year of my life.” Really put an extra shitty damper on my “big day”. Just a heads-up from me to you. :) :)

• La La August 6, 2014 at 1:38 pm #

Hahaha whaaaat, that’s too funny. Surely you were in a coma? Or in denial? ;-)

Unfortunately, I recalculated and this will be 30. I assume not many of us accomplish all we want to by certain ages? Right? That’s what I’ll tell myself.

• theclocktowersunset August 6, 2014 at 3:13 pm #

I still see myself pal’n around with Jimmy Fallon and the likes on the late nite circuit, like I’m some Hollywood Somebody that people would love to just watch and regal them with stories of my superiorly interesting life. The fact of the matter is that I’m probably better friends with my lawnmower than I ever will be with Jimmy Fallon. Although……. I am rather hilarious, and have a bit of the gift of gab, soooooooo……. You never know. Tell you what, my first appearance on the LateNite scene, I’m stopping by to pick you up. Have your Pimp Cup at the ready!

• La La August 6, 2014 at 3:16 pm #

I’m in! *googles “Pimp Cup”*

• theclocktowersunset August 6, 2014 at 3:22 pm #

Oh, yeah, you’re definitely gonna be 30. Among the many indicators of non-youth I’ve noticed, googling popculture references from 5 years ago is right there at the top of the list.

• La La August 6, 2014 at 3:23 pm #