Lesson #1 – Just Have Fun Already

6 Aug

Sometimes, for years at a time even, we do this crazy thing where take life too seriously. We all know that, yet it still happens. In our defense, it is kind of hard not to take life seriously when we live in a world where a lot of things aren’t going as planned, kids stab other kids, jobs are difficult to find, people are depressed, no one is perfect and watching the news often feels like a tragic chore.

I took life way too seriously for about 12 years. I so wanted to swim and have fun on the beach, but was convinced I didn’t have the body for it because I didn’t fit in and that “wasn’t fair.” So instead of having fun, I spent 12 years being a pathetic Sad Sally. While I was sweating and worrying, I could have been pretending to be a beautiful mermaid. I could have been doing handstands, or impressing boys with my shiny braces and bountiful bangs, or rocking a jet ski or at least enjoying myself in other ways instead of moping around.

You’ve probably taken something too seriously and when you thought about it too much, you were miserable and stressed, right? Did your stomach hurt? Were you constipated? Were you kind of evil and bitter? What does that tell you? The key I’ve learned is to stop focusing on it and go laugh at stuff like farts or have a drink instead. Or multiple drinks–your call.

The first time I finally wore a swimsuit in public after 12 years, I had to be coerced onto the beach. After that process, I then had to be coerced into the water and within 20 minutes, I was knocked over by a wave and my boobs popped out of my swimsuit and I did like 900 somersaults and I emerged from the ocean with seaweed in my hair and snot on my face and I was stumbling around like a baby giraffe taking its first steps and you know what? It was one of the best days of my life because it was hilarious and fun and I didn’t give a shit about what people thought about me.

Then I realized that worrying and taking it all so seriously was such a waste, and that there is just no point to not having a good time.

22 Responses to “Lesson #1 – Just Have Fun Already”

1. Twindaddy August 6, 2014 at 3:18 pm #

This is the truest advice, but hardest to follow…

• La La August 6, 2014 at 3:19 pm #

You’ll just have to learn the hard way like I did, bud.

• Twindaddy August 6, 2014 at 3:20 pm #

Oh, I laugh at myself all the time. I just meant in general.

• La La August 6, 2014 at 3:21 pm #

Oh, yeah, then I guess everyone else will have to learn the hard way ;-)

• Twindaddy August 6, 2014 at 3:22 pm #

Indeed.

• La La August 6, 2014 at 3:22 pm #

Suckers.

2. Carrie Rubin August 6, 2014 at 3:56 pm #

Yes, yes, yes. I took too many things too seriously in my younger years. Luckily, that all changed when I had kids. I lost my cool. I lost my dignity. I lost my mind. And I was okay with that because most days were (and are) a blast. I frequently recite one of my favorite quotes to others: “You wouldn’t worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do.”―Eleanor Roosevelt (and Dr. Phil)

• La La August 6, 2014 at 5:34 pm #

Exactly! Everyone is busy worrying about what they have going on. Also…kids…boys..can’t even imagine. It is probably a great change to have to make though!

3. El Guapo August 6, 2014 at 4:50 pm #

There is a whole lot in the world that just isn’t worth worrying about.

• La La August 6, 2014 at 5:31 pm #

Especially if you don’t want more health problems than usual!

• Sean Smithson August 6, 2014 at 5:39 pm #

Very well said Guap. That being said. I’m still going to worry about my hair loss!

• La La August 6, 2014 at 5:42 pm #

Well hair loss is a major worry. So I completely understand that one. ;-)

• Sean Smithson August 6, 2014 at 5:49 pm #

I can’t tell if you’re taking the piss or not? I thought that sort of thing is supposed to matter less to women as we get older? Oh shit. I’m screwed if not!

• La La August 6, 2014 at 6:17 pm #

Haha, just “taking a piss.” But I would have enjoyed if you had hair plugs or something tomorrow.

• El Guapo August 6, 2014 at 6:15 pm #

Why? You could be the next president of the hair club for men! (Not just a customer.)

4. Andrew August 6, 2014 at 11:03 pm #

I got pantsed in middle school, and was pretty embarrassed. Now I wear cut off shorts when I do yard work, that are so short, they’re almost like being pantsed. So yeah I agree. Just have fun.

5. Frivolous Monsters August 7, 2014 at 4:23 am #

Hurrah for seaweed and baby giraffes. And breasts, of course.

Liked by 1 person

6. battlewagon13 August 7, 2014 at 12:27 pm #

My whole personality is geared towards worrying about things that I have no control over. I realize that’s not a good thing.

• La La August 7, 2014 at 1:58 pm #

Well you aren’t alone, I can promise that. Especially when it is a worry about something that hasn’t even happened and probably won’t happen!

1. Lesson #2 – Just Because Jeff Goldblum Didn’t Write You Back… | tales of a charm city chick - August 6, 2014

[…] Click here for Lesson #1 […]