Lessons #4, #5 and #6 – Boogers, Pepper Tooth and Best Friends

14 Aug

Lesson #4 - You can pick your friends, you can pick your nose, but you can’t pick your friend’s nose (…courtesy of my boyfriend and dads everywhere).

Lesson #5 – Best friends don’t let best friends walk around with pepper tooth (when food, usually a spice of sorts, has decided to hang out along the gum line or is lodged between two very visible teeth).

It is a known fact that all people with teeth, possibly some unknowingly, have suffered from pepper tooth. This leads to embarrassment. That’s where best pals come in because the people who love you will mention it. And you know what? One might even let you pick his or her nose if you want. That thought kind of reminds me of one time in high school when my friend and I tried to synchronize our menstrual cycles and we read that to do so, I would have to smell her perspiring armpit. I was disgusted, but figured it would be worth it afterward because we could sit around and eat ice cream together while watching sad movies. Kind of like this–

what

–except our boobs were less pointy. Anyway, one afternoon after our field hockey game, I smelled her armpit and it was gross and nothing ever even came of it. Ten years later, I read an article indicating that attempts to replicate the original study have been inconsistent and evidence doesn’t support the menstrual synchronization possibility.

So, don’t try to pick a friend’s nose (says my boyfriend) and don’t smell another person’s armpit.

Lesson #6 – Stay in touch with your best friends because they will tell you when you have pepper tooth. They’re great for other reasons too, but that’s just my example. It isn’t always easy to stay in touch now that everyone is getting married and having babies, but best friends are worth it, and time spent apart nearly seems nonexistent when you get back together again. How great is that?

26 Responses to “Lessons #4, #5 and #6 – Boogers, Pepper Tooth and Best Friends”

1. Trent Lewin August 14, 2014 at 8:09 am #

Words to live by. Pepper tooth… I always wondered what that was called. It seems obvious now that I think about it. All right, back to my coffee buzz…

• La La August 14, 2014 at 8:10 am #

Must get to coffee…

• Trent Lewin August 14, 2014 at 8:15 am #

I’m about to vomit with the amount of caffeine I’ve ingested so far. Some of it went up my nose (speaking of your post). I was okay with that.

• La La August 14, 2014 at 8:21 am #

Hmm two entry points. I support that. I’m slothing on downstairs at the moment and will soon join you in the jitters.

2. Twindaddy August 14, 2014 at 8:36 am #

That only armpits I smell are my own, and that’s only to make sure I have enough deodorant on.

• La La August 14, 2014 at 8:47 am #

Good. I’d question you otherwise.

• Twindaddy August 14, 2014 at 8:48 am #

You can question me any time you like.

Liked by 1 person

3. Carrie Rubin August 14, 2014 at 8:44 am #

It’s poppyseed tooth that I have to watch out for. Those poppyseed muffins can really put a dental damper on one’s day.

Liked by 1 person

4. Lori D August 14, 2014 at 10:15 am #

More good lessons from La La.

Hey Lauren, I’ve been following this blogger who is gaining quite a bit of popularity. Her stories about her life at first reminded me of you. You two are around the same age, and the craziness in her life has now surpassed anyone I’ve ever met. From having a strict evangelical dad who got caught meeting gay men (and boys) from the internet, to her treks in Asia all by herself. If you haven’t discovered her yet, you might find her interesting.

And, if you ever get a chance, stop by and see me once in a while. I recently posted my need for a title for my finished novel.

It’s good to read ya again.

• La La August 14, 2014 at 10:43 am #

I do follow her, thank you for sharing her blog! I’ll be by to visit. Things were all wacky here for a few months.

5. Bob August 14, 2014 at 10:42 am #

Well that’s just a little gross. Ick.
    Sometimes I’m so glad I’m a boy.

• La La August 14, 2014 at 10:43 am #

Whatever. Boys stink like 92% of the time.

6. Jen and Tonic August 14, 2014 at 10:46 am #

I always have pepper tooth! It’s like my gums are some kind of magnet for it. Worse, even when I try to pick it out, it just sticks there until I have to physically excuse myself so I can excavate the little shithead.

• La La August 14, 2014 at 10:57 am #

Exactly. That’s just what they do and they are loathsome little SHITS for making things more awkward than they already are.

7. El Guapo August 14, 2014 at 2:21 pm #

Mischievous friends give friends pepper tooth while they’re passed out on the beach from too much rum

Or so I’ve heard…

Liked by 1 person

• La La August 14, 2014 at 3:29 pm #

Just after burying them to create big sand boobs!

• El Guapo August 14, 2014 at 3:30 pm #

Then put chips on the sand nipples so the birds peck at them!!!

Or so I’ve heard…

Liked by 1 person

• La La August 14, 2014 at 3:31 pm #

Well that’s just genius. Tell whomever you heard it from that I said so. :D

8. Kathleen August 14, 2014 at 3:16 pm #

You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can’t wipe your friends on the sofa.

Liked by 1 person

9. pivoine68 August 15, 2014 at 6:35 am #

I couldn’t agree with you more about best friends. We let so much slide out of reach. Best friends are sacred and will most definitely fill you in on pepper tooth, panty lines and bad judgment as well. They are not afraid to hurt our feelings, which saves us a lot of time.

Bises Miss LaLa!
    Dawn

10. gingerfightback August 15, 2014 at 11:34 am #

I reckon Buddha started like this – such wisdom. Off to look up Pepper Tooth

11. theclocktowersunset August 20, 2014 at 7:14 am #

I remember when I was a kid and I got in a fight with my best friend at his house, his mother put us both in “time out” and proceeded to pass on some sage advice to us. She said ” You can pick your nose, you can pick your friends nose, but you can’t pick your friends.” This I understood as, it doesn’t matter whether you’re mad or not, they’re still your friend. Kinda goes with the pepper tooth thing.

• La La August 21, 2014 at 10:14 am #

A fine memory to involve that little, big saying. :D

12. Andrew August 25, 2014 at 8:44 pm #

Pepper Tooth is also my name in the gold miners role playing game me and my friends play. (Okay not really, but I would use that name.)

Liked by 1 person