Lesson #11 – Living Alone

4 Sep

Buying a house and living alone sounded scary, but I learned it’s empowering and actually a lot of fun. Once I figured out that just because I was alone didn’t mean I was lonely, a whole bunch of awesome things happened–I got to walk around in my underpants, dance in my underpants, cook in my underpants, sing in my underpants, talk to myself in my underpants, meditate in my underpants, write in my underpants, eat stuff without feeling judged (eh, usually clothed), research dumb things without distraction in my underpants and practice making funny faces in my underpants. It was great, and I could do all those things whenever I wanted.

Most importantly, being alone gave me time to think about what I really want in life. It took the focus off of making other people happy/working my schedule around others and gave me time to get to know myself. And guess what? I’m not half bad.

Not everyone needs time alone, but if like me, you find yourself always taking care of the feelings of others, have spent little to no time alone in life, or if you’re an empath, an extended period of time alone can truly teach you how to recharge your own batteries and just be you.

As a bonus, time alone also allows you to set your chest free from the unnatural boob zoo that is a bra. Aaah, such bliss…

There are also long-term benefits. For example, now that I live with my boyfriend, I have a better understanding of when I need time for La La things and what I need to do to take care of myself. It’s great, and healthy for our relationship, and I’m so happy to have spent time alone to make these discoveries!

Advertisements

24 Responses to “Lesson #11 – Living Alone”

1. Ruby Tuesday September 4, 2014 at 3:55 pm #

I think this one is my favorite so far. Especially as someone who needs lots of personal space and loves being in my underwear. But mostly because as someone who loves the hell out of being alone, it always makes me happy to hear about a woman who maybe wasn’t so jazzed about living alone (and buying a house, you awesome lady!) discovering just how wonderful it can be. And I’d bet you’re fun as hell to hang out with by yourself. For all the sense that makes. 🙂

Liked by 1 person

• La La September 4, 2014 at 4:03 pm #

If the neighbors knew I was alone and heard all that laughter…god only knows what they thought. 😀

I’m glad you know what I’m talking about. I do think some people need more space than others, and I found my version of the “right amount.”

Thanks for commenting, and enjoy your underwear time!

2. Twindaddy September 4, 2014 at 3:56 pm #

Why did you do all that stuff in your underwear when you could have been naked? I sometimes do that when I’m home alone and it’s quite liberating.

• La La September 4, 2014 at 4:05 pm #

Underpants are comfy…and what if you leave butt residue or something? I don’t know.

• Twindaddy September 4, 2014 at 6:43 pm #

Well, if you’re leaving butt residue then its probably time to wash your ass.

3. Carrie Rubin September 4, 2014 at 4:06 pm #

I LOVED living alone (big surprise there). But I got married young, so I didn’t get to be on my own for too long. Nothing quite beats that feeling of independence, even if your apartment is a scary, one-room stink ball (which mine was).

• La La September 4, 2014 at 4:10 pm #

Hopefully the pack mule helped you move! 🙂

4. Sandee September 4, 2014 at 7:39 pm #

It’s good that you can appreciate being alone. If you don’t get to know yourself, how are you going to have a meaningful relationship with someone else. I think of people who need someone around all the time simply because they don’t want to be alone — they need a body there.

Living alone definitely has its benefits. For you it’s walking around in underpants, for me it’s being naked — I see nudist colony in my future 🙂

• La La September 4, 2014 at 7:48 pm #

DO IT. That sounds fun. And thank you, I’m pleased to see people understand this despite the many I know who, like you said, need another body present.

5. Amy Reese September 4, 2014 at 9:16 pm #

A boob zoo.That’s just funny. I’m glad you made time for you. You’re a wise woman.

6. The Philosophunculist September 4, 2014 at 9:50 pm #

Yeah, I never realized how much better doing everything in my underpants was until I got my own place. Good stuff.

• La La September 4, 2014 at 10:06 pm #

Haha glad you agree! It’s so wonderful.

7. herdthinner September 5, 2014 at 2:07 am #

I’m solitary to the point of having no inkling of how to live with other people (I still need to get on writing that post, already!). I’ve owned a house, then moved and rented a 1-bedroom apartment that had NO STORAGE OMG I HAVE SO MUCH STUFF and now I have a condo with – ta da! – Baby’s First Garage! Like, I pull in the car, and then can Shut a Door Behind It!! This is adult bliss.

As for some of the other stuff you mentioned.

…Okay, let’s say that I’m not in a hurry to put on clothes in the morning, until I **have** to. And I’ve always at least unsnapped the boob zoo after arriving home. Shoes OFF, Boobs OFF!

Wait… Sorry, I meant their harness, not the **actual** boobs.

• La La September 5, 2014 at 7:54 am #

Ok I love “shoes off boobs off” though, so let’s keep it! Someday I will have a garage too. You’re so ahead in life!

8. gingerfightback September 5, 2014 at 3:11 am #

With you on the bra free days.

• La La September 5, 2014 at 7:54 am #

Hahaha knew you would be

• gingerfightback September 9, 2014 at 3:01 am #

I think man breasts are a sign of my female side being nurtured

9. rheath40 September 5, 2014 at 8:36 am #

I stand in the middle of my living room naked because, well, I can! Great post La La. xoxoxxoxo

Liked by 1 person

• La La September 5, 2014 at 8:37 am #

Xoxoxooxoxoxoxo!!

10. talesfromthemotherland September 6, 2014 at 12:51 pm #

What a wise woman! I wish I’d had that time… of course, when I was younger I didn’t get it.

11. kindredspirit23 September 6, 2014 at 2:34 pm #

I understand all the aspects about “living alone”. Running around in your underwear is fun (well, I run around in mine, not yours, but you understand.).
    Scott

12. kenthinksaloud November 5, 2014 at 8:38 am #

You’re a braver woman than I – partly because I’m not a woman but also because I would hate the idea of living alone. Even though I love working alone as a freelance writer with the family out of the house all day, I am like a lost dog who can’t stop wagging his tail when they all come back at the end of the day! I don’t care how little clothes I might wear (and I suspect you look a LOT better in your underwear than I do – in my underwear that is, just to clarify) – I just wouldn’t like to live alone :-/

Liked by 1 person

• La La November 5, 2014 at 9:13 am #

That’s fair! I was scared out of my mind. It’s a scary thing to imagine. Even the underwear bit, haha. I’m like the puppy now, too. Nothing wrong with that! But I’m happy I had the time to figure out all my crazy. 🙂

Liked by 1 person