A Funny Thing Happened On The Way Back From The Funeral Home

10 Jan

I dropped my phone and broke it, had a few drinks at the bar, drunkenly took a book about “hope in a time of despair” from one of those little free library book things and immediately spilled wine on it and then my internet was down and then I locked myself out of the house and I fell and then I cried with my friend and then I talked and I talked and I talked about life and love and then my other friend threw up and really, I could keep going but I’ll stop because you likely get the gist​ by now, but if you don’t, let me just say that​ life is a comedy and a love song and a gorgeous catastrophe from which we cannot escape because no one’s getting out alive.

Death, am I right? So weird. Around here we avoid the topic, but it forces its way into our lives one way or another. In these moments I am fully aware of just how much I love the people in my life. Like, I am in love with these people. They are funny and they bring me joy and laughter and they accept me despite the things I do when I’m just trying to avoid death. They listen to me when I talk myself in circles and cause my own fit of anxiety. They comfort me in the right ways when I’m cold and blank inside.

They know when I’m feigning toughness because I’m actually wearing my giant, hopeful heart on my sleeve 24-7 and there’s nothing I can do about it. They teach me all the time and I’m a better woman for it.

I’m weird. They’re weird. And they’ve taught me just how much it’s okay to be wholly and unapologetically me.

So anyway, all of this popped into my brain last night when we were on the way back from the funeral home and while I was 100% in the midst of my own tornado of me and I had to laugh at it all because, like, this is life and it’s absurd and fun and I wouldn’t want it to be any other way.

Advertisements

10 Responses to “A Funny Thing Happened On The Way Back From The Funeral Home”

1. 1jaded1 January 10, 2016 at 11:06 pm #

It’s a vicious circle. So sorry for your loss.

2. Amy Reese January 11, 2016 at 1:00 am #

Hey, Lauren. Good to see you. I’m glad you have such lovely people around you. Hope you are doing well.’

• La La January 11, 2016 at 6:51 pm #

Miss you, Amy!! Hope you are well also.

Liked by 1 person

3. Frivolous Monsters January 11, 2016 at 7:00 am #

“No one’s getting out alive?”
    You sound like the worst sort of terrorist right now.
    There’s always someone to turn up, near the end, to save us…
    Right!!!
    Right???

• La La January 11, 2016 at 6:50 pm #

I like to pretend a deus ex machina will resolve the plot somehow….

Liked by 2 people

4. Deedee January 12, 2016 at 12:04 am #

I was glad to see you, even though it was brief. Yesterday, the past weekend, the past week, has been one of the most difficult whirlwinds I have ever been tossed in the middle of. Thank you for the support. I’m sorry I didn’t have more time. ♡

5. Nirodaigh January 12, 2016 at 11:55 am #

Interesting post, wishing you strength and glad to read you have a good life with love to rely on. It’s all that really matters, in the end.

6. Dawn Quyle Landau January 13, 2016 at 1:40 am #

So good to see you in my inbox today, and sorry a funeral brought you here! That said, I could not agree more, with pretty much every word you say from the 2nd paragraph down. I’ll take the 1st paragraph on your word. 😉 Sending you healing thoughts and love, Lauren.

Liked by 1 person

7. Erin E. January 17, 2016 at 11:21 am #

When it rains, it pours. I can fully understand the idea of causing one’s own tornado. Sending you lots of love and prayers.

Liked by 1 person

8. weissblut January 25, 2016 at 5:30 am #

A part of me thinks that we might live to see immortality, another part of me is scared of not seeing it, and all of my parts are just screaming in the void that my mind conjures up when thinking about death. Death is a bitch. Everything is play to keep Death at bay. One day, we’ll know. Sorry for your loss.

Liked by 2 people