What is a man?

9 May

I went and picked out a bottle from my Aunt Sue’s wine rack (I am house sitting this week). When I tried to open the bottle, this happened:

I broke the wine opener.

I fought to the death with that thing, but it didn’t work out. So, on a piece of paper I wrote “sorry” (right). I noticed the notepad (left) had writing on the next page. It asks, “What is a man?” Wow, good question. I found another opener, got a new bottle and there went my mind for the evening. What is a man?

What is a man to you? Are you a man? What makes you one?

Sure, a man will reach high places, fix things, grill like a champ, be on bug removal duty and fart on you from time to time. He will also laugh at the word “duty” in the previous sentence. Because he truly thinks you will like it or because he’s trying to be funny, he might also send you a picture of his ween. But what else?

To me, a man is loyal, focused, honest and an equal. A man is a role model to his children. A man owns up, dances (sometimes, though I prefer often), and can apologize. He is protective. Without thinking, a man gets the door. He allows himself to be emotional with you. A man won’t whine to his friends about you to seem cool.

Also, a man will inspire you to live without fear and forget regret.  He will make sure you always feel like you are the most beautiful, confident woman in the room…oh wait, my bad, now I’m just thinking of alcohol.

Advertisements

27 Responses to “What is a man?”

1. Maggie O'C May 9, 2012 at 4:50 pm #

They’re out there, promise and they’re better than wine. I love mine b/c he doesn’t drink anymore so I always have a driver!!!

2. crubin May 9, 2012 at 4:59 pm #

The owning up part is big. A real man–and woman–will take responsibility for his or her actions instead of placing blame elsewhere or some other passive-aggressive nonsense. And the ability to apologize. Given both of these things can be hard for any of us to do, to me, they mark the true definition of a man. Nice post.

• La La May 9, 2012 at 6:10 pm #

I completely agree with you. Thank you!

3. Pete Armetta May 9, 2012 at 4:59 pm #

And a man ought to have a good woman like YOU! This is so cute. Sorry about the wine opener. I cracked the HELL up when I read that! 🙂

• La La May 9, 2012 at 8:40 pm #

Thanks Pete, you are most sweet.

4. Bird May 9, 2012 at 5:11 pm #

Beautiful post…(as usual)…You made me think about it, and I started asking myself what I loved the most about my hubby…I would have to say I like the way I look in his eyes…He really does think I’m the shit…even when I have trouble believing him… 🙂 I love your stuff, you naughty girl!!

5. Madame Weebles May 9, 2012 at 5:45 pm #

Excellent post, La La. And I totally agree with the other commenters here. I would also add that a real man will have your best interests in mind, without an agenda. And if he has a problem, he’ll tell you about it. He may not tell you in voluminous detail the way a woman would, but he’ll talk.

6. Sword-chinned bitch May 9, 2012 at 6:13 pm #

Alcohol will NEVER abandon you… I cracked up when I saw the picture of the bottle — I’m glad you got another one! It’s cool the way things worked out — if the bottle opener hadn’t broke you might never have had the opportunity to share this post!

• La La May 9, 2012 at 6:18 pm #

Exactly, and without Kyle and diirty, I would have never wanted the wine 😉

Thank you.

7. Kyle May 9, 2012 at 6:38 pm #

it is a real joy to be the sort of man that you describe in your last two paragraphs – it means that you can form lasting bonds with women and get to squish bugs too – i hope you find such a man lauren, you really deserve to

8. SweetP May 9, 2012 at 6:48 pm #

I think you need to read “Fifty Shades of Grey”, I’m about to start!

9. chrisdevoss May 9, 2012 at 7:20 pm #

When do the mail order husbands get here?
    I always wanted to be the type of man John Cusack portrayed in the movie Say Anything. Sadly you ladies like men who are more like a combination of rambo and Judd Nelson from Breakfast Club. (The first half)

There is a man out there for you. He just doesn’t know it yet.

• La La May 9, 2012 at 8:39 pm #

haha, someone should poke him with a stick about it.

10. Simon May 9, 2012 at 9:20 pm #

This is really great. Like if I was a loser the kind of thing I would print out and tape to the bathroom mirror as a reminder of what to be.

• La La May 9, 2012 at 9:32 pm #

Haha, you taped it up, didn’t ya? I had you in mind for the kids bit!

• Simon May 9, 2012 at 11:12 pm #

Well shucks, thanks. Looks like I have another one fooled.

11. RFL May 9, 2012 at 10:06 pm #

Aww! I love this. Corks never get stuck in boxes of wine.

• La La May 9, 2012 at 10:17 pm #

I am remembering that for next time.

12. dee dee May 10, 2012 at 12:52 pm #

Oh wine!

13. Bird May 20, 2012 at 6:39 am #

Hi, La La!! I nominated you for the Very Inspiring Blogger Award. Just spreading some of the love around!

Thanks,
    Bird

1. The Very Inspiring Blogger Award « Everyone Has A Story - May 20, 2012

[…] LaLa at Tales of a Charm City Chick. This link is to one of my favorites of her posts. All of her writing is excellent, but for some […]